Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Travelogue Japan Day 2-Shinjuku Redux Part 2

From the south tower, you get a better view of the station area and some of the department stores like Odakyu or Takashimiya


A twist to the south reveals the green wooded area around Meiji Shrine.  Off  in the distance, you may be able to see the white dome of the Tokyo Dome where the Giants play baseball.   On a clear day, both towers offer views of Mt Fuji.  This is not one of those days.

Having my fill of putting my head in the clouds I descned to street level and head back to the station.  Im trying to find a high vantage point to get a good view of the space in the shadow of the station.  

I follow several pathways and take multiple escaltors trying to find an open window.  The only thing I was able to do was get to the multiple restaurant levels of the My Lord store.  

The menu outside this restaurant looks tempting and a price I can deal with.  I should remember this

By the time I am at ground level again, dusk is upon the land and the neon and lights begin to come up

Tokyo has won the 202 Olympics which will happen in a little over 4 years.  They have really tried to clean up Kabukicho in the meantime.  Loudspeakers blare warnings to the crowds about unsavory hakwers who may direct you to seedy bars and dives.

The entire sector looks quite a bit clean and somewhat brighter at night.  This may increase as the games draw closer.

There is a Toyoko Inn located in the heart of the area.  Another well known part of Kabukicho is Golden Gai.  It houses many small bars.  Ive never been to it myself but Im sure Ive probably been close at some point.

Yeah, really trying to make this an attractive place for all who may enter.  The clubs, sex shops and dvd stores are still in business

Tall dark and nuclear with a bit of mood lighting