Friday, March 25, 2016

Travelogue Japan Day 10-Glicopia East

Glico, the maker of Pocky and Pretz gives tours at 2 factories that I know of.  On the west side near Kobe.  Its a little more involved to get to that location. and one on the east side near Kitamoto station.



About a thirty minute walk from the station, I arrive at Glicopia East.  Oddly enough, the souvenir/gift shop is located near the entrance of the facility instead of inside the main building after the tour.

Reservations can be make online or by phone.  for online reservations there has to be a minimum of 2 poeple.  Single visitors have to call it in?  I had a friend make a reservation for 2 since this would be the easiest solution for me.

Rockets in the shape of giant Picky and Pretz.

The pimped out Glico Wagon

Custom door handles

Ice cream cone taillights.  Glico also makes frozen novelties as well.  They make 17 and are available at the vending machine near the entrance gate.

When its your time, you can enter the building and view a video about the history of the founder of Glico

Afterwards, the collection of attendees is split up into smaller groups to make the best use of the tour's time.  We began by walking around an area where they have displayed some of the antique vending machine and other memorbilia

Along the wall, they have all the small toys that were once included with the caramel candies that originated the company

There is a pattern that develops as you work you way to a more contemporary time.  The plastic toys become cheaper and near the end becomd paper punchouts that fold into animals

Photo op!  get your picture taken next ot the siymbol of Glico, the victorious running man.  Most notably seen on an electronic billboard in Osaka, a smaller version is at each factory location.

This guitar made in the shape of the logo is a regular playable sized guitar.  The perspective makes it look bigger in the previous pic.  It was made for the band Glay

Another use or likeness of the logo can be found just before you actually tour the factory


 No photos are allowed of the factory.  so I hang back and take a snapshot anyway.  Fresh Pretz coming out of the oven

Prior to the end of the tour, we are excorted into a room for a quiz.  Its all in japanese so I didnt have a chance.  but I was surprised to get the first 5 out 6 right.  I sat in the back and should have cheated off the other guests.  Anyway, the winners won 3 loarge boxes of Pocky/Pretz.  This was a truer factory tour than the other ones Ive been on.  You actually get to see more than one part of the production.  he rest of us didnt leave empty handed.  We got a box of specailly packaged Pretz.  I devoured this box on the way back to the station.  It was well passed lunch and the walk was taking a toll..

The other keepsake was a Pocky shaped balloon

Back at the station there was an udon joint.  They also sold soba

Got my ticket and went in.  I was in a daze from the lack of food.  She asked me udon or soba.  Normally, I would pick soba.  Since the last words I saw were udon, I panicked and said udon.

And heres my udon with curry rice on the side.  Really really hit the spot