Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Travelogue Japan Day 3-Shiga Kirin Factory

Its an early start to catch an early bullet train out of Tokyo and head west to Osaka


On a clear day like today, views of Mt Fuji along the route are sharp and plentiful.  Just outside of Tokyo and you can enjoy watching it follow you for close to 45 minutes before it goes into hiding behind another range of mountains.

Playing with the zoom on the camera, I focus on the very top of the mountain.  Still capped by a good amount of snow but still too early for the climbing season.  Im rarley in the country during that time but the 5th station, I beleive, may still be open to tourists.

Im on my way to the JR Maibara station to transfer to the Omiya line

Just outside Gifu something something station is this solar cell laden structure dubbed Solar Ark.  It is at this point that things get a bit chilly.  Announcements were made over the PA about snow in the area which were delaying the Shinkansens

I was not expecting snow and there was none forcasted for Osaka nor tokyo that day.  I was caught completely unawares.  I had sent my luggage ahead of me so I didnt have access to any extra articles of clothing.  Only what I had on me. 

I disembarked at a station called Screen.  Not the japanese word for screen but the enlish word screen.  I thought it an odd name when I was doing research.  a few buildings around the stop had the Screen name scrawled across it.  I guese it was named after this company.

A fairly short walk away was the Kirin factory.  They host beer manufacturing tours as well as tours of their Gogo no kocha(afternoon tea) manufacturing line.  The flurries were one and off and I tried to make as much progress as possible while the weather was good.

I was early so I had to wait in the waiting room warm and toasty as the snow continued outside.  

Inside, they have some of their products on display as well as other products they distribute.  this side is soft drinks

This side is hard drinks and alcohol

Did I mention I was early.  Well, I was very early.  I allotted myself enough extra time in case of delays like getting lost or taking the wrong train.  There was a conbini before getting to the factory.   With nothing else around, it was a good place to geet some nourishemnt and a hot can of coffee to warm my hands and my belly

I returned and discovered that I was the only participant of the tea tour today.  I had seen a handful of other people mulling around from a previous and latter beer tour.  I felt really bad that for the next hour, the poor tour guide would have to try and translate/explain the tour in english.  I thanked her for her efforts.afterwards.  No photoes are allowed during the tour.  Basically they went through their recycling/environmental/charitable efforts.  They talk about he source tea.  Their was a demonstration of how they form the bottles at this location.  There are a few windows that overlook a small section of the bottling area.  There was an issue and it was all shut down while they worked on it.

 After the tour, you have access to a number of beverage machines to partake of what you like for 30 minutes.  Or, you can select from their beer offerings of which you can choose 3.  Below, you get to form your own bottle from recycled materials into the shape of a panda.  No cap is provided.

Back on the Ohmiya line, back to Maibara, then on the Kodama for Osaka