Thursday, March 3, 2016

Travelogue Japan Day 1-Asakusa

(Pics to be added later)
Ive come here on my first visit over a decade ago but have not returned as much.  It doesnt hold much for a frequent visitor but I return on occassion.  Leading up to the temple, hawkers ply their wares along Nakamise dori.  Souvenirs are the min attractions but food run a close econd.  Freshly roasted sembei and filled cakes are the snacks of choice amongst the crowds.  Aide from being a tourist attraction, locals do come and pray here.  The shoten gai that run along the borders are worth a look at

A few blocks to the west is a newer shopping/entertainment area known as Asakusa Rox.  The centerpiece of the locale is this 24 hour Don Quijote across from the movie theater.  Rox extends a few blocks in every direction from here.  A retro arcade of sorts.  Get the marbles in the right holes and you are rewarded with more marbles.  Sounds like a predecessor to the pachinko.  Moving back toward the temple, a small amusement park begins to close chop for the day.  Further on, yatai stalls cooking up foods and snacks are breathed in before visual affirmation.  Meats, vegetables, and battered goods tempt the stomach but I must resist to not spoil my dinner

Making my way back to the main street, I find a number of clear plastic tarps providing protectin and warmth to the patrons.  They drink and have some small bits a they converse.  Both sides of the street are packed with a lively atmosphere.  Looks like a good time

The subway station is close to the Sumida river and a short walk from Skytree.  I approach along a dark street but huner for ramen stops me short and I make my way back.  I felt like tsukemen at Rokurinsha but the line tured me away.  I decided on Hiragau ofr its shorter line and i had heard good things about it.  I ordered the first item on the ticket machine.  The soup has a heavy seafood taste that mellows with each spoonful.  Not offensive but not what I am used to when I have my ramen, miso ramen usually.  Straight amost white noodles and wonton swim in the soup alongside a single small shrimp.  The chasu is on the sweet side, again to my surprise.  Not bad but not something I would seek out.  I could have had tsukement at Tetsu butrenovations at Shinatatsu prevented that