Saturday, March 26, 2016

Travelogue Japan Day 10-Shinagawa After Dark

The Shinagawa station area is just west of Tennouzu Island which borders Tokyo Bay.  The evening was balmy and I decided to try and walk towards the bay area.


By now most of the workers in the highrise buildings and manufacturing plants have gone home for the day.  I walked the sparse streets toward the island.  Before crossing the second bridge, I look back to see the airport monorail on its way to Hamamatsucho station.  An alternative to the Keihin line from Shinagawa.

Ahead, I can see the lights of Rainbow Bridge.  Unfortunately, I cannot see the eastern achorage nor Odaiba due to the structures obstructing the view.



This about as close as I can get to the bay without breaking any laws by tresspassing onto private property.  there are a number of inger docks just beyond a fenced in area with an open gate.

A party boat slowly cruises by.  These are very popular in the summertime.  Dinner cruises with free flowing alcohol with stunning views of the bay and surrounding area from the waterline.

 I passed this gentleman on the way in and he is still present on the way out.  the lone fisherman plying the dark waters seems to have very little luck in catching anything but keeps at it.  Maybe he just enjoys the weather tonight

Going back I run across the airport lonorail heading towards the airport this time.

Having pass this grocery store previously, I thought Id step in and take a look around.  the prices are pretty good and the selection was varied.   However, I wanted to see if they had an item was hitting shelves today.  sure enough they did and for 30yen cheaper than MSRP

With the coming of spring, people go crazy over the sakura, cherry blossoms.  It is a time to admire the blooms and have picnics under the flowering buds before the petals fall off.   Pepsi has come out with a number of limited flavors before.  Some are good and some not so much.  Not so much, the chestnut flavor comes to mind.  But the sakura flavored edition ranks on the plus side.  At first I really didnt notice much about the flavor.  As I savored it, I began to realize the subtle cherry flavor and a little bit of tartness to the finish.  I thought about bringing some back but worried about the bottles exploding in my loggage while in the unpressurized compartment of the airplane.  Plan B, buy it after I get past customs and stow in my carry on.  No luck as I no one seemed to have it before or after customs and security. 

Half of my suitcase was empty for the most part when I arrived.  Days before returning, that space is no more and filled with gifts and souvenirs.  this was not even all of it as I picked up a few things over last few days