Friday, March 25, 2016

Travelogue Japan Day 9-Ikebukuro and Akihabara

Today I go back to Tokyo and it started to hit me that I would have to be flying home soon as well.  that my vacation would soon be over.  I sent my luggage ahead of me and it was a good thing I did.  I got caught up in the morning rush on the subway to Shin Osaka  station. During these times, commuters pack themselves into cars that were meant for much fewer people.  The japanese are used to it but it makes me feel claustraphobic.  I couldnt move my arms and was somehow balancing on my heels most of the way.  I bought a bento to have for breakfast.  I was orginally planning on leaving in the afternoon with a reserved seat.  But the train originates from Shin Osaka so it wasnt hard to get a seat in the non reserved car.



Ive got to get these microwaved before I eat them sometimes.  And,  my eyes are always too big for my stomache so there was quite a bit of rice left over, I hate to admit.

I had a few errands to run at Tokyo terminus.  Some Kit Kats at the Daimaru 

Not too far is Rokurinsha at Ramen Ave.  Tsukemen is their thing and thats all Ive ever had.  cant go wrong with it.

Nothing left but the dipping sauce?  No problem, have them thin it with soup wari and guzzle the rest of it down your gullet

Not wanting too burdened, I checked back into the hotel to drop off some recent stuff and confirm reciept of my luggage.  Now Im ready to go.  Go where?  I havent been to Ikebukuro yet and my JR Pass is still good for the rest of the day.

Nowadays, I just hang out around Sunshine 60 St.  Shopping, restaurants and entertainment line this pedestrainized street that leads to the Sunshine City complex that has shopping, restaurants and entertainment.

Arcade, bowling alley and theater


Do you like tako yaki?  Do you like giant tako yaki?  In years past there were alot more of these kiosks around town.  The one in shibuya may or may not be there but this one stands tough throughout the years.

I make the mistake of ordering one a few years ago.  It had a ton of mayonnaise on it.  The tako yaki ball, about the size of a softball, was swimming in it and it just put me off.  Several years later and the lingering mental scars have not faded.  I still cant get myself to order it anymore.

I dont spend much time at Akihabara at night.  Im usually there during the day so I thought I would stop by for dinner of ramen

On the eastern side of the tracks near Coco Ichiban Curry is a ramen stop underneath the tracks of the Sobu line.  Take the Showa dori exit

We first came to this place when friends and I rented an apartment nearby.  Im wanting to say 2003/2004?

I order the usual, almost.  Chasu miso ramen and gyoza.  They had shrimp gyoza and they had me at shrimp.  However, I couldnt tell the difference when I ate them.  Another patron had ordered tsukemen.  I had never realized they offered that so I may have to try it next time.  

Walking around, there no shortage of neon signs.  It seems to me the streets are brighter now than a few years ago.  When Fukushima power plant went kablooey, Tokyoites voluntarily started to turn down the electricity usage and the streets dimmed because of it.  It was very noticable.  

Out on to Chuo dori, the main drag.  Plenty of folks shopping, maid cafe employees hawkng their cafes, The blare of anime and video games, heaven for some.  Pleasant enough for me.




Along one of the smaller streets that prarllel Chuo dori