Sunday, March 27, 2016

Travelogue Japan Day 11-What To Do On a Rainy Day? Not Much

Ive been very fortunate that the weather has been very favorable.  Last year, I felt really cold and could have brought a few more long sleeved shirts.  I did that this year and didnt really need them for the most part.  Today it did rain throughout the day an no plans in particular.  However, I did have a taste for meat.  I wound up at Kichijoji. 



I came specifically for menchikatsu at Satou.  I wasnt the only one that had this thought but I expected the line as it tends to here more often than not.  It may get forgotten that this shop is also a butchers.  

Their select cuts are on offer in the display case.  Looks good you say but you have no way of cooking the meat if you bought some?  Fear not, as there is a steakhouse on the second floor.

a mix of meat onions and other goodness are balled up and dunk into the batter.  Removed from the batter, they are encrusted with panko and deep fried.

*drool*  Meaty oniony heaven in a softball sized protable package   These are the first of a new batch out of the fryer and worth the wait.

One is a nice light snack.  If you are not that hungry, 2 would be light lunch.  The balls are springy and airy with steam rising with every bite.  3 is a full lunch

The train line meets up withe the Yamanote at Shinkjuku.  Still wet with umbrellas fully utilized by those who have them.

Being very stubborn, I refused to buy the ubiquitous clear plastic umbrella from the conbini.  My thought being that I wasnt going to be out in the elements all that long.  That I can always find some refuge to dry off in between exposure to the rain

Came across this place at the Takashimya times complex.  Their top 3 floors are dedicated to restaurants of various cuisines.  This buffet happened to offer roast beef and that was all the draw that I needed.

The buffet was nice as they had roasted vegetables with the roast beef and a spalch of mashed potato.



They also offered various desserts with a white and milk chocolate fountain for dipping fruit and marshmallows.  I had a soft serve, fruit jelly, some fruit and a cream puff

 The day ends as it started, rain in Shinagawa.  The office workers are rushing to their forms of public transit in order to get home or a bar or something while I make my way to a nice dry room.