Monday, March 22, 2010

Travelogue-Toyko Day 2

Today, I went from Shinagawa, via train, to Jiyugaoka and by train again to Naka Meguro. Then walked to Daikanyama followed by another ride to Ikebukuro. Back on the rails, it was Akihabara before returning to Shinagawa.

Jiyugaoka is one of those up and coming neighborhoods near Tokyo. I dont know how that stake that claim but I counted at least 3 pachinko parlors near the station.

Speaking of which, this is just outside the station. As you walk further away from it, it gets more residential and more quiet. However, there is plenbty of infrastructure besides the pachinko. There were a number of large and small shops of all types. Not too far away was a Labi electronics store

As I progressed, I hopped on the express to my next location, Daikanyama. The express does not stop there so I got off one stop earlier at Naka Meguro and walked. I passed by this small canal lined with cherry blossom trees.

In many of the western parts of Japan, the blossoms have begun to bloom. Many, like these have yet to come to full splendor. Once I got to Daikanyama, there didnt seem like much to see. I had heard/read that it was a trendy area with street cafes and boutiques.

With nothing else really planned for the day, I thought I could hit Ikebukuro to complete some of my shopping. I was in the mood for meat for lunch when I got there. I stopped into a grill in the complex and had this plate of chicken beef, sausage, and hamburger steak. It really hit the spot since I had not had much meat since leaving for this trip

Even here I could not find the one elusive item. There were a few places in Akihabara I did not try before and should check them out. Success! I found what I was looking for at Don Quixote. They were my last shot. They have all kinds of crap/stuff. What I had bought was something asian and something Star Wars. With that, I was satisfied for the day.