Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Travelogue-Tokyo Day 3

Playing a hunch and wanting to get some curry for lunch, I head back towards Shinjuku. There is a branch of Don Quixote and a branch of a curry chain call Coco Ichiban. I found the Star Wars chopsticks that I was looking for. But, it was an incomplete set as I only found 2 of the three, Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker. I thought maybe this one would have Yoda. Here, they didnt have any at all. Mysteriously, I was pulled to the Tokyu Hands store that provided no joy days ago. Lo and behold, they had them today and they only had the Yoda ones. Did I not see them last time?!?!

This curry chain has a location at the nAla Moana shopping center food court in Oahu. They have a nice selection of additions like thin sliced pork(shown below), tonkatsu, vegetables, cream croquette, etc. You get to choose how much raice you want and how hot you want it and they price it accordingly. The location at Akihabara is open 24 hours. I didnt check on this one

Theres been alot of talk on the news about the cherry blossoms blooming. A favorite spot for some is Shinjuku Park. Japanese like to picnic under the blossoming trees during this time of year. Howe ver, as I got there, the gates were closed and people were just sitting about. I found a sign that said they would be open dail from 3/25 to 4/14. Story of my live, 3/25 is the date I leave for home
Later, I went to get some ramen at a cluster of restaurants under the tracks of Shinagawa station. Too bad I forgot my camera. I opted for somedthing different and was pleaseantly surprised. I got something with a broth that was really thick and opaque. The noodles were much wider as well. This helps to hold onto the sauce as you slurp. The dish was very good. The slice of pork had a great roasted-charred flavor to it as well. Thumbs up!