Sunday, March 14, 2010

Travelogue- Seoul Arrival

I was up at 5am this morning in anxious anticipation of this trip. The flight was uneventful and caught all of 30 minutes of sleep here and there. 4 hours into the flight, we are somewhere south of Anchorage

The Bering Sea was filled with broken sheets of ice as we slipped through the International Dateline
I have arrived in Korea to a dark and wet 46 degrees F. I guess it could be worse. It was easy enough to find the A'rex train for the ride to Gimpo to catch the subway into downtown Seoul. Later this year, it will span the whole distance itself

At Gimpo, I hop on the 5 line to get me to the hotel. Its pretty quiet at 8:15pm on a Sunday night. That all changes once we hit Gwanghwamun Station. By the time I depart, there are no empty seats and its standing room only.

Although my nhotel is adjacent to exit 4 of the station, no one warned me about the abscence of an escalator/elevater and the presence of a long flight of stairs to street level . As I write this, it is 11am local time and I have been up for over 24 hours. After checking in and settling in, I have no energy to go out into the rain. More tommorrow