Thursday, March 30, 2017

Travelogue Bangkok-Day 4 MBK

I rpomise this will be the last mall I visit, or at least I will admit to visit or post.  MBK center is off National Stadium terminus on the Silom line


Multiple floors and what felt like a very long building that stretched on for quite a while

Whereas Paragon, short diatance away, is considered a higher end mall, MBK is a different flavor

Speaking of flavor, Im hungry and want to get something to eat for lunch.  The 6th floor is where I ended up before this table of macarons.  Idont know what they are called but I will call them "micro-rons".  Each one of these is the size of the nail on my thumb

Food Island is a food court similar to Pier 21.  You purchase a debit card, order items, and pay with the card.  The selection of foods is similar to both locations


The only thing lacking at Terminal 21 was a place that could grill seafood.   They have that on offer with a selection of fish, shellfish, squid, etc.  I decided to splurge and went for the large prawn

They had some other things they could quickly heat up in a fryer

One prawn wasnt going to do it for lunch so I opted for some spring rolls as well

The prawn is cut open and grilled.  It takes about 5-6 minutes before its ready.  I liked the shrimp but the sauce was too spicey for me and used sparingly.  Most expensive meal so far at 350 baht.  If you are hungrier than I am, there is all you can eat buffet directly beneath us on the 5th floor

As I strolled the aisles, I got a different vibe from each of the floors/areas that I passed through.  Sometimes I felt like I was wlaking through a flea market like the Patpong Night Market

Other times it felt like a typical mall that I am accustomed to in the US

Lastly, some areas were more condensed and felt like an older style of mall that didnt embrace an open feel.  Alot of places selling scarves and other items made from Thai silk. 

A number of places offered customiztions on several types of items.  Tshirts and caps can be embroidered with any design or saying.  Other places could laser etch your smart phone case

Chatuchak weekend market is open on the weekend as the name would state.  I had read that it was a pretty expansive place and it would take the whole weekend to explore it correctly.  Rain started as the train approached Mo Chit terminus.  It was a heavy downpour by the time we were let off.  I was able to take the breadth of the layout as we passed by and was very large.  I expect it to be like a flea market/bazaar atmosphere once its open.  Again, Im not sure I want to spend alot if any time there.

There was a forecast for some rain today but there was no sign of it for any of the morning.  Upon riding back, the train was wrapped with advertising and covered with water.  It made determining the weather outside impossible as it turned out to be very sunny by the time exited the car.