Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Travelogue Bangkok-Day 3 Terminal 21

As mentioned before, I had taken notice of Terminal 21 mall a single stop down from where I was staying.  Since it was so close, I walked down Sukhumvit and was there in no time


There are multiples levels above and below the entrance that adjoins the Skytrain station.  Each level is decorated in a theme associated with cities around the World.  This escalater takes you all the way up to Istanbul.  Didnt sped too much time there and proceeded to the next level down

There are 2 levels dedicated to San Francisco for some reason.  The only American city.  There are more restaurants than shops on this floor

Most of them are located toward the other set of escalaters near a mock up of the Golden Gate Bridge

The floor directly below follows the sam SF theme but contains a food court

Iconic props adorn the open atrium facing Sukhumvit

They even put in replica heart statues that dotted the city several years ago.  Those were sold off for charity and can still be seen in places like Union Square, as best asI can remember

A floor is made to look like the streets of London

I doubt this store actually exists in London but it was chuckle for me to see.

Of course, Tokyo had to be represented though there were very little japanese products to me found.  Other cities/areas include Rome, Caribbean, and Paris

The food court takes a coupon/card system.  Although all the kiosks show prices, you cannot purchase them without getting the card first.  After use, any residual can be cashed in.  The counter at the fron was heavily impacted by queues of people getting their cards.  They can also be purchase from the back counter too

For lunch, I chose to nosh on items from this huge cauldron of pork and eggs stewed in a soy based broth

Needing to get a fix for my first mango and sticky rice, I ordered a plate.  Unknowingly, the lady gave me a large order.  I didnt specify but I was hoping to get the smaller order as I didnt think I could finish it

If it werent for the incorrect order, this lunch would have been less than 100 baht.  The food was good.  I even liked the pork skin that was also simmered with the leg meat.  The roast pork was not what I expected.  More of a seasoned and oven roasted pork than the red chinese chasiu.  There is a stall for chinese food where you can get that if you want.  Loved the mangos.

Washed it down with some lychee iced tea.  They had other flavors but this was nice and cold.  Again, I didnt specify the size but assumed large from previous experience.

Another food item people associate with Thailand is the green papaya salad.   That will have to wait for another time.  At this point, this is my hands down go to location for food.  Location nearby, prices are inexpensive, and the food tasted good.  Aside from the salad, they have a place that sells boat noodles.  They have a variation that has Kobe beef.  I will try it out and let you know

Maybe a new craze?  Pizza in a cone!  It seemed somewhat pricey at 159 baht for a large portion.  Over $5 and it may not even be as fulfilling as something from the food court for the same money