Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Travelogue Bangkok-Day 3 Patpong Night Market(Silom)

Out in the Silom area, there is a well known night market.  Before heading there, a small street, Thaniya, has a number of bars and restaurants aimed at japanese tourists


Alot of the signs are lettered in japanese as well as thai.  As I walked through, they dont know if Im japanese or what so I get accosted in japanese

A few steps down are the streets that comprise the Patpong Night Market.  The stalls open at 1800 so the streets would be empty of vendors before then

Two rows of sellers offer clothing, leather goods, watches, sunglasses and other nicknacks.  I was not really looking for anything so I didnt buy anything but I dont see much that would have differentiate this from Khao San Rd.  This has also made me question whether I need to see any more of these types of markets.  I had planned to see Chatuchak Market before I leave on Saturday but now Im not so sure.  Be warned there are a few go go bars in the area and I became the target of hawkers again  

For some, it may be worth going down some of the other streets for something to eat.  Its still pretty warm and the exhaust of nearby traffic was not doing it for me. 

Back to Terminal 21 since its on the way back.  Came back for the papaya salad.  They have a regular and spicey.  Knowing the Thai, I think it was a safe idea to choose the regular.  They shave the green fruit and make the salad from scratch.  Regular but it was still a bit spicey with the few peppers they added

I also came back for the noodle soup I mentioned before.  I choose the wide rice noodles with beef and Kobe beef.

The beef they use for the soup and some of the same meat already prepped to add to the bowl after a bit of warming

Some Guava tea to help wash things down and help quench the heat of the peppers.  It has been decades since I last had this kind of salad.  This was a hard chew from the papaya and raw green beans.  The soup was ok.   The regular beef was tough but the "Kobe" beef was much more tender.  The soup had a slightly sour finish with a little kick of heat.  I wonder if the heat was an after affect of the salad?  129 baht for the meal