Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Travelogue Bangkok-Day 2 Khao San Road, The Grand Palace(not really), and Asiatique

The heat was building throughout the day and it had not wuite peaked yet but it was still very hot for me.   My hands were sweating from the humidity and I could not dry them for the life of me


Theres alot of cheap stuff to be had here.  Lots of people selling clothing especially t-shirts, bikinis, etc.

The crowd is much younger here. College kids and the like who come for the hostels and affordibility of it all


As it was close to lunch, I grabbed a pad thai with shrimp in front of the 7-11 where I bought a can of Coke Zero.  Small shrimp, nothing like the big prawns I saw at Central World Food Expo but it didnt have the big price tag either.  It was ok but I thought they put in too much sugar.  My second pad thai and I think its more than enough for me

In addition, Iordered the spring rolls.  I really like these.  Light crispy exterior with noodles and vegetable along with a sweet chili sauce

After lunch, I walked down the rest of the way down the street.  Didnt really see much down here but had to head back so I didnt have the time to look around.  Bought a bottle of water at another 7-11 down this way.  I thought I had kept myself well hydrated but was mistaken  

I was getting tired already and it didnt help that I missed the sign showing the direction to the Grand Palace.  I went left when I should have went right and it cost me some extra distance and time not to mention the additional putting up with the heat.  Jet lag, heat, humid weather all made me very exhaustive by the time I got to the Palace grounds.  I sat down to ease my tiredness and hoped to feel a breeze to help cool me down a little bit.

It never really materialized and I had to forgo entering the grounds as the palace closes at 4pm and last call was at 3:30.  Maybe I will come back some other day, some other time.  These 3 pics were all I could muster

The pants are not a fashion statement or the current rave.  There are dress codes in place before entering the palace grounds.  Either they were loaned or rented to those who didnt meet criteria

I ahd to cool myself down to restore my energy and motivation.  The Baskin Robbins was air conditioned and had cold drinks.  For some reason, this is the first Thai iced tea I have had on this trip

The other stop is the Asiatique River Market.  Once again, I thought that I would get dinner here.

A market is a more apt description than a mall.  The vendors are sheltered under roofs but they are open to the elements and heat.  No relief from in sight

Calypso is a ladyboy cabaret.  

There were some street vendors set up along the river near the ferris wheel.  A number were set up and a few more were getting set up.  Not in the mood to eat outside, I made my way back to the hotel with the respite of the AC in the traincars