Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Travelogue Japan-Day 9 Ameyokocho

One of the rare days of sun in the city during my stay.  Would have been nice to have just a few more of these



I was looking for this drink from Asahi and finally found it at a smalldrug store.  With the record of the last 2 clear drinks I had, I was not feeling enthusiastic about this one.  i will this one for someone else to try


Ended up in shinjuku again.  At the 8th floor reception of the Hotel Gracery.  This is where the Godzilla head is located.  However, access to the deck is limited to hotel guests or patrons to the attached cafe


Just off the elevators, there is a filmography in movie posters of Gozilla's history


It runs to the current animated features.  The last live action was in 2016


Although I had stayed near the Ueno area early in the trip, my friends and I never went to any local attractions


I came to Ameyokocho to have lunch.  I knew this was the place to get 2 things, fruit and doner kebab


Here I could get some sliced melon.  They had 2 types, cantalope and honedew.  It would have been nice if they had chilled them instead of letting them warm in the heat


I went for both.  It was a delight on such a warm sunny day.  They also had watermelon but it looked very pale to what I am used to.  Who knows, they could taste better than my perception.  I ended up getting a second stick of honeydew at another stall


Used to alot of doner kebab vendors in Akihabara.  Then, they all disappeared.  Either many were here before or they moved here but there is a large concentrations of stands.  You can get different kinds of meat, different heat levels of sauce, and you can get them in a pita bread or over rice


Got a few breads and pastres from Andersen.  The checkout scans you items to determine your bill.  You dont pay the cashier.  You insert it directly into the register.   The clerk just wraps up your purchase


In the mood for some gyoza.  Saw this place near Tokyo station a few days ago and popped in


I went with 2 orders for dinner.  These are good gyoza, not spectacular but sated my appetite for less than 500yen.  When I looked at the menu, I started to recognize that this was part of a chain that I had been to before.  The ramen joint in Akihabara outside of Showa dori exit under the train tracks.  A location which had been frequented many times before


Today would have been a good day to go to Mt Fuji