Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Travelogue Japan-Day 8 Gundam

Today I start the bulk of my shopping.  Sure I could have done it days earlier with everyone else but I didnt want to lug all that stuff from Ueno to my final hotel.  Sumo sighting at Tokyo station as I boarded bound for Shibuya



We were here several days ago at this Mega Don Quijote.  This chain of stores has expanded quite a bit with larger stores even several locations in the same place


The usual search for Kit Kats will now include these stores.  Some stores will have different items than others so you may need to check more than one


This one actually has a fresh food floor in the basement level.  It includes a deli section.  I have seen some locations that have a small selection of prepared foods


Baby Disney Pino?


The haul.  This time around Im going for quantity over quality.  I have purchased more of the bagged items rather than the luxury items found at the Chocolatory locations


While back in Tokyo, got some bentos for lunch.   There are several that come in train shaped containers.  Each has a different offering.  I had seen on previous trips chopsticks shaped like the Shinkansen.  I scoured several shops but they were no where to be found.  They were abundant when I didnt need them.  Now that I want to buy them, I cant find them


Also got the daruma bento which caters more to the adult taste.  The tradition with the daruma is to paint in one eye when you make a wish and the other when the wish is fulfilled


Also near Tokyo station is the Pokemon store at Takashimaya.  Located in the east building, there is a singular lobby with a singular elevator that will take you up to the 5th floor where the store and cafe are located


The cafe is extremely popular as they have not been open long.  Reservations are a requirement


A pack of pissed off Pikachu


Then it was off to Odaiba where I spent the rest of the day.


In particular, Diver City shopping mall where a statue of Gundam exists.  Last year, the statue was changed from the original RX78 to the more contemporary Unicorn Gundam


Its pronounce facial feature lends to the unicorn name.  This is more animated than its predecessor.  More lighting all around and it transforms between Unicorn and Destroyer mode.


Before the next transformation, stopped into the ground level food court to get some takoyaki with cheese and cod roe at the Gindaco booth.  Thumbs up, my new favorite


The schedule of events.  2 hour intervals during the day and 30 minutes at night.  The daytime shows are very tame.  When it gets dark the light show begins and is augmented by video projections against the outside wall


Unicorn mode is basically all white.  Once he changes, the familiar face presents itself and pink accents highlight the body


The arms, legs, head, and torso do not move.  All that happens, aside from the face, parts of the armor shift places


The more dratic view after the sun has set


I didnt stay for the last 2 shows.  The ones that I did stay for was good enough for me.  It would have been more of the with different music, lighting, and video


The skyline of Tokyo from this side of Tokyo Bay.  


One of the many malls on the man made island, Decks was named because of the wooden deck on the bay side of the structure.  With all the rain we have had today, the planks are brought to the forefront with the help of the lights