Thursday, April 6, 2017

Travelogue Tokyo-Day 5 Ramen Festival

This wasnt exactly on my radar before the trip.  I had just found out about a few days ago.  More can be found at http://dai-tsukemen-haku.com/ (japanese).  Its a 6 week event that began last week.  Each week runs from Thurs to Sun and a different theme in the city of Machida.


Here is the list of whats available this weekend.   One of them said miso so opted for that

A ticket for ramen cost 850 yen.  Alot of the booths offer extra toppings for an additional fee

The last booth, booth J, seemed to have the longest line while I was there.  Makes me wonder if I made the wrong choice

Yep, I made the wrong choice.  Not only is is miso but it also had ginger in it.  Ginger just ruined the whole thing for me.  I had to get something to drink to help wash away the ginger flavor

Since its a ramen event, someone has to report on it.  By the looks of it, I believe these 2 buys are probably comedians.

There were 4 other booths, 3 for gyoza and 1 for chahan, fried rice.  A ticket will run 600 and 500 yen respectively.  I opted for gyoza

There was no one else at the other spots and I fell in line too

The gyoza was wrapped in pork belly and served with a raw egg yolk.  I had wished it was bacon because it would have given the whole thing some flavor.  All in all it was rather bland.  Was it worth coming all the way to Machida?   From this experience, no.  It was an hour southwest and I passed by Shin Yokohama.  I would have enjoyed the Raumen Museum much more.

So Ive been staring at this sign for the past few days and have finally decyphered the petroglyphs from right to left:
A woman with a bonb strapped to her fanny pack
A pedophile
A sniper who only kills with shots to the heart
Drug addicts with large syringe needles
Ninjas with hidden cane swords