Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Travelogue Tokyo-Day 3 Akihabara

Not a trip goes by where I dont stop into Akihabara.  In most cases, inside the station, they will have tables set up for regions of the country to highlight their goods and make them available to those who may not otherwise visit or have access


I like to stop in to Yodobashi to see what new toys they have

They have a section for the ever expanding line of Star Wars toys.  From the originals to the newest movies, they have them covered.  A display of First Order Stormtroopers surrounding Darth Vader.  Inn front of them is a guy touching and R2D2 made out of Legos.  I saw the sign that says dont touch.

Just behind the previous display was a near lifelike sized Deathtrooper.  Unless he was a little short for a Deathtrooper.

Hey, Look, theres a big hole in the sky near the Electric town exit.It used to house a chain cafe and restaurants around the corner

I found this place called The Akiba last year in the new Radio Kaikan

It was a good source for Kit Kat as they had some of the Nihonshu where the place in Tokyo station had run out.  Again, they have the Moleson inspired Kit Kats here that I have not seen anywhere else.  I find it funny that they have a warning about the alcohol powder thats added to the aforementioned flavor.  Its not like anyone, let alone a child will get drunk of it.  They sstill have the Nihonshu and the new Uji green tea  

Don Quijote is a good place to find discounted and cheap items.  They can be a good source for the bulk packaging where they are bagged instead of boxed

They have a few  of the boxed ones including the Nihonshu in the paper bottle packaging from last year.  They have the one of the Moleson inspired flavors in a bag but not the other flavor, the one that contains alcohol power

Not much else has changed along Chuo dori

I dont know when this was renovated but this used to be a narrow alley with some adult DVD and bookstore.  They've opened it up to a nice airy courtyard just opposite from Yodobashi at the Showa dori exit

The other time that I ate at GoGo Curry, I didnt give it a fair shake.  I ordered something that was way over my head and I could not really focus on the flavors except to focus on trying to finish it.  Since I was in the mood tonight, I will try it again.   I ordered the curry with fried shrimp
  
I have to say, the shredded cabbage was a nice touch.  The curry is much sweeter than Coco but in a pinch I wouldnt have any problems eating this.  The shrimp was light and crispy but could do with less batter.  This location is across the street from the hotel near Shinatatsu

What's better than sliced bread?  Dont cheat if you can read japanese
Its sliced chocolate.  Found in the same section as sliced cheese, each slice is individually wrapped.  You can use like any other chocolate or use it to make a sandwich with, say, peanut butter or jam.  Or, just melt it on to a piece of toast.  Theres even better news.  It also comes in white chocolate.  I will be on the lookout for that