Sunday, March 18, 2012

Travelogue-Tokyo Day 3, Gundam/Skytree

My first encounter with the life-sized Gundam in Odaiba was several years ago during its initial run.  I  was not able to see it fully erected at the time.  All they had were just the legs and a few bits lying around.  Now, Gundam is back and hes all put together, for the most part. 

Unfortunately, I still cant get that up close to it as they are building a shopping mall behind it.  Fences and barricades  prevented me from getting any closer

During the first time, there were lights, smoke generators and some movement in the head.  It was quite dramatic against the sky of a setting sun or the dark of night

Per japanese custom, Gundam has removed his shoes

The Bandai Museum at the original location had the life-sized torso and I went to see that.  I went to see his legs a few years ago and now I've finally seen the finished product.  Shame I couldnt get closer

Skytree is a broadcasting tower that is now complete and is the tallest structure in Tokyo.  It just up the Sumida River from Gundam/Odaiba.  Being the tallest structure, youn would think it would be easy to find.  Once you arrive at Oshiage Station on the Asakusa subway line, you are instructed to go to exit B3.  As I come out, I had a bewildered look on my face that I recognized from many of those coming out of the exit as well.  We had all looked up and saw nothing.  No hint of the tallest anything in Tokyo.  It turns out the building to the left was blocking the view.  Because of the perspective, it blocks out the tower even though it is shorter

There is an observation deck, of course.  It will open with the offical opening of the building in May, I believe

Until then, everyone must admire from afar

Ok, so I was trying to be cutesy with the black and white stuff yesterday.  Turns out I forgot to change it back to the regular mode and did not notice that many of my earlier pics today were not in color