Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Travelogue-Seoul Day 3, Insadong/Gwangjang Market

Insadong is a shopping street with boutiques and traditional craft shops. Walking from Gyeongbok Palace, you know you've reached your destination when you see this big brush statue.

I came rpimarily to npick up some of these confections. They are made of honey and stretched/pulled, folded, and stretched again until each strand is a very fine thread. A number of strands are gathered and wrapped around of filling of almonds or other sweet filling.

There was not a whole lot for me here.  It was a quick get in, buy it, and get out kind of thing.  There were 3 stalls selling this stuff and two were right next to each other

Before I left, I stopped in at the bakery at the beginning of the street.  Grabbed a pizza bread and sausage roll for 5000won.  I was thinking that I would head over toGwangjang Market and have some snakcs to round out my lunch

Back on to the subway and 1 transfer later, I was back at Gwangjang Market.  It was later in the day than during the previous visit.  It defninitely seemed like all the shops were open and all the food vendors were prepping and cooking.  There were places that sold bedding and linens, produce, seafood, side dishes, and all manner of things you could think of. 

As far the the food stalls, each area had their own specialties.  Calling thems would be generous as some areas had barely enough room for one person to walk around the seated pattrons.  The biggest selection had eomuk, tteokboki, and kimbap with a few other foods.  Bibimbap was the focus for one row.  Another offered mandu soup.  I didnt see them frying any but only served in soup.  The ladies were alsor rolling the dough, filling the dumplings, as well as cooking them in fron of the customers.  The nexus had a small number, smaller than the other foods available, of mung bean pancake makers.  What I though was grinding soy beans was actually mung beans.  I sat down at one of the more central locations.



I wanted to get 1 skewer of eomuk like I did at Lotte Mart.  I asked for eomuk.  The lady behind the counter thought I was japanese and called it oden.  I guess its kind of the same thing or at least something the japanese can relate to.  I nodded my head.  Before I knew it, she handed me a bowl of soup with some eomuk in it.   She was nice enough to give me a few more.  She had a way of doing that to many of her customers.    It was only 3000won.  It was ok but I preferred the one at Lotte Mart.  This one just was not as good.  Nonetheless, I finished the bowl.  I went back to the hotel to rest my stoach for dinner.  It was not far and began walking in the correct direction.