Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Travelogue-Seoul Day 4, Gyeongbok Palace

Yesterday, I ran into a branch of japanese curry restaurants that I frequent when in Tokyo.  I fugred that I would be there soon and held back my craving.  This morning, per my morning ritual, had breakfast in the hotel lobby.  They changed the soup and offered curry.  How cooincidental.  I partook of it and figured I will have more tomorrow.
As promised, another palace for another day. This one comparatively much larger than the previous one. Thanks to this picture just before the subway exit that illustrates the size of its footprint.  Closed on Mondays, the guards man the front gate when the facility is open.and keep out those who fail to pay the 3000won admission

With their own set of blue shirts and red shirts, there is a changing of the guard cerremony that tkaes place several times during the day.  But, you know what I say, "Seen one changing of the guard in a democratic nation located south of one which is a dictatortship and you've seen them all."  Although I didnt wait for it, I ran smack into it uopn my egress

Aside from the main gate, it seems like you have to go through many more before entering the palace grounds proper

Modernity overshadows the walls once used to keep all manner of things out.

Second gateway

Third gateway

I* thought there were a number of interesting stone carvings found around the area.  Many are related to the zodiac while there were some whimsical takes on other animals.  I believe this to be a cat

There are many buildings that dot the estate that have specific purposes like the throne room or the area for the storage of food jars.  However, two buildings set apart by the moat around them.


It took a while to walk about 75% of the area open to the public.  I took alot more pictures but they all start to look alike after a while.  The grey day somewhat put a damper on my wanderlust for the day.