Thursday, March 15, 2012

Travelogue-Tokyo Station 1st Avenue

After settling in, I wanted to go out and do something. I decided to visit a new set of shops called 1st Avenue near the Yeasu Central exit in Tokyo Station. As we arrived at Yurakcho Station, I espied Darth Vader exiting the Yamanote in the opposite direction. I gave chase but he had disappeared before I could get down the stairs. Vader has now left the station. The force is strong in this one. I am aware of Tokyo Trooper Danny Choo but was not aware that Vader was a regular Tokyo walker.  I arrived at the station and focused on 2 areas.  The first was the Ramen Street.  About 8 shops populate this area.

Since it was dinner time for some, I expected large numbers.  Most shops had lines of people waiting for them.  Some lines went around the corner

Some lines went around more than 1 corner

Some of my friends will be happy to note that the shop selling candy and a great variety of Kitkat is still around but moved to the nearby Ramen Street.  I have seen and purchased so many Kitkat in my mnay trips here that I have forgotten what I have or have not seen/tasted/bought.  I now these are new.  The first commemorates the new Tokyo Skytree which is due to open in 2 months.  Orange flavor.  Why?  I dont know

This one with Rilakuma(sp?), pancake flavor?

The other area was Character Street.  They have a variety of goods resembling many familiar faces

Many of the TV studios are represented such as NHK, TV Tokyo, TV Asahi, etc

One store of particular note to a friend of mine is located at one end.  I didnt look at the prices but the selection seems to rival what I have seen at Yodobashi in Akihabara

Most of the inventory was related to the Tomy line of trains and accessories.  About 25% was other train related stuff

Theres eve footwear for the kids that resemble Shinkansens.