Sunday, March 11, 2012

Travelogue-Seoul Day 1, Seoul Station

Seoul Station feels like one of the major arteries in the city's trasnportation system.  Theres 2 subway lines that cross paths with trains that head away from the city

Not too far away is Namsan and N Seoul Tower in the heart of the city.  Several large buildings surround the station

I spotted the Lotte Mart during the previous nights passing.  I ahd not been to one previously and wanted to take a look to see what they had.  I did not get very far within the store as the supermarket was on the first floor.

Bt now I had built up the urge to eat something.  The had a few small counters with seats to plop one's weary but down on to enjoy some food.  I ordered the fish cake on a skewer(eomuk), dumpling(mandu), and tteokboekki(rice cakes ina spicey sauce).  They were 500, 1000, and 2500 won respectively.  The mandu were great.  I should have had some more but I find I may be back.  The soup with the eomuk stayed hot and took the chill off the day.  Though not too spicey, the sauce in the rice cakes further elevated body temp

There was a great deli area like one that I would expect in a japanese department store.  There were stalls to get side dishes(banchan) and kimchi, a bakery, an area for sushi, and an area for meats and fried stuff.  Here are tonkatsu that are literally bigger than the size of my head.  Had I not already eaten, I could have easily bought one for a 3 meal stint.  I would come back later to pick up some drinks while the place had filled up with people prepping for Sunday dinner

Inside the caernous station there are many facilities for those passing through those making use of the of it.

The tracks for the trains lie outside these doors while you have to briefly exit the station to get to the subway lines.  Samller then Tokyo Station but comparable to its convenience

There were a number of fast food places and sjops to get a snack or a meal.  But, they also have a food court.  Here we have the menu for all 14 restaurants.  Each does not offer much but have their own specialty.  You order at the register near the menu then head to the designated counter to pick up your food when your number is displayed

For dinner, I ahd the "ramen in a pan"  It was inexpensive at 3500won.  I knew it would be instant ramen as the Koreans have a love for this stuff.  Funny though not so much for the actual stuff.  It came with kimchi and pickled daikon.  The pto like it felt less than a pack of ramen that Im used to back home.  The soup was slightly spicey.  It was enough to satisfy my dinner nneds.