Sunday, March 11, 2012

Travelogue-Seoul Day 1, Gwangjang Market

I got up to partake of the complimentary breakfast the hotel provides.  I grabbed some onigiri, sausages, miso soup, and orange juice.  Its a bit of an upgrade from what they were offering lst time.  Today was going to be a cold day with temps around 0c.  A nice warm breakfst is very welcomed along wit a parting cup of coffee.

After eating, I took the first steps toward getting to Gwangjang Market.  I took the subway to Joingno 5ga Station and left via exit 8.  This was still early on Sunday mornin g around 9am.  As it appears, not everyone was set up yet.

A few of the food vendors were already up and cooking with a few customers on hand already.  In the center of it, grindstones, some electric and some hand ceranked, were spun up to grind down soybeans into a paste.

After mixing with other ingredients, they were placed onto a shallow pool of oil to fry.  It did smell very good along with some of the other itmes that were in various stages of prep and cooking

I wanted to partake in some of the offerings but was not quite hungry enough yet as I just had my morning meal.  I was hoping to see the other stalls open up so I could see what else they had on hand. 

So, I figured that I would walk around, work up an appetite, then come back to eat.  Many of the shops were still closed as I began to look around

I saw this place not too far from the food sellers.  They looked like gift sets.  They were colorful and caught my eye but I cant say that I know what they are made of

I cant speak the local language and di not investigate any further than what I could percieve

This looks like its made with jujubes but I cant figure out what the white matter is

I never got back to taste anything that they had.  My sense of direction failed me for the fist of two times today.  Assuming the Cheonggye River was to the nortth of the market I thought I was heading east back to the hotel.  In fact, the river was to the south and I was walking west.  I began to think the hotel should have been coming soon and it never did.  I also started to recognize some buildings and just decided to go to Seoul Station since it was in this direction