Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Travelogue-Seoul Day 3, Gwanghwamun

My look around the palace grounds was complete.  I headed up the main drag and passed Cheonggye stream along the way.  The beginning of the stream is marked by a large spiral shaped shell.  Today there were some tents erected nearby.

I headed over to take a look.  My nose told me at least swome what was being offered.  The smell of dried fish and seafood products makes itself known


A few more steps gets you to the open plaza around Gwanghwamun.  The mountains and a palace in the background and two statues in the foreground

The first is of Admiral Yun and his turtle boat.  He must have been some great sailor but dont know of hisw tales or victories

If you continue on, the wide boulevard commemorates King Sejong

He is credited with giving birth to the korean alphabet.  I just wished they would have standardized how things are pronounced and romanized


Looking back on where Ive been for the past few moments.  Instead of a range of mountains, a range of modern buildings dominte the view.  A clear sky and a warmer day than the previous

At the end, there is a T intersenction where the street terminates at Gyeongbok Palace.  I thought going to two palaces in one day seemed a bit austentatious.  So, I decided to go to Insadong instead and leave this for the following day