Saturday, March 29, 2014

Travelogue-Japan Day 9, What To Do Monday

I had not planned anything particular to do today.  Since I had a JR Pass, I could go almost anywhere.  But, I had spent alot of time on trains the last few days that I didnt want a long train ride.  Since I did not see Mt Fuji yesterday from the bullet train, I thought I would get back on to try it again, since I have the JR Pass.


With the Pass, you could jump on most any train including most bullet trains.  You can also make last minute seat reservations without extra charge.  You could even reserve a seat, jump on an earlier train and not use the seat.  Anway, I decide to take the 1 hour ride to Shizuoka on the shinkansen.  When in Japan, I cant help but become a train enthusiast as they become a big part of your daily life.




 Mission accomplished, snapped some pictures of Fuji san.


Slightly overcast at the summit so it could not be seen very clearly during the trip


Its not long before one of the mountain ranges begins to obscure the view.


If you forget to purchase something to eat or drink before boarding or dont have enough time to jump off and buy something at the platform then jump back on, no worries.  JR staff push a cart up and down all the cars with snacks, beverages both hot and cold, and bento lunches.  If your trip is long enough, you will see them several times


Some remaining veiws before getting to Shizuoka.  Once there, other mountains will hide Fuji from view.





We are starting to lose sight as we are almost about to pull into the station.


Arrival at the station and I dont have much time before the next train heads back to Tokyo.  Yeah yeah, I could have hung out a bit longer and make the trip worthwhile but that wasnt on my mind.


I think this was the view from the south exit


Or maybe this wass the view from the south exit.  Either way, one is south and the other is north


Another hour to get back.  Pictures already taken and I can take it easy and relax with the clikery clack of the wheels on the rails.


Im back and its about time to get some lunch.   Although there are many branches of Coco Curry, there is only 1 that comes to mind, Akihabara.  Simple curry with chicken kaarage.  


The north side of the Yamonte loop is a section I rarely get off at.  Ive stopped at Nippori to visit Ynaka Ginza once or twice.  For that reason, I came to Sugamo Station.  The station is much bigger than Shin Okubo but the grounds areound much less livelier.


Its late in the after noon and there are few persons around.  I dont get an energetic vibe as I walked around.


The only highlight was the department store a few feet from the station.  Its part of a larger chain but not one of the bigger hamd and I forget the name.  I went down to the basement to peruse the supermarket area.  I could not believe how inexpensive the deli food is.  With that htought, I picked up a few things for dinner.  I planned to make it an early night and get some sleep.  I will have another train ride tomorrow with a round trip of 4 hours.