Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Travelogue-Japan Day 3, Shin Okubo(Koreatown)

Most major cities will have a concentration of similar ethinic groups that settle in 1 area more than others.  There is a Chinatown in Yokohama.  In Tokyo, there is a a collection of shops that cater to Koreans around Shin Okubo Station.


This is one of the smaller stations on the line.  Its so small...How small is it?  Theres only 1 entrance/exit which is located on the outside of the loop line.


Beyond the station is your typical mix of grocery, music, food, and pachinko shops that line the throughfare down to Okubo Station on the Chuo line.


The street continues on the other side of the tracks that lay on the inside of the loop


As I exit, my first instinct is to turn left and proceed towards Okubo Station.  After having trekked the distance and not finding anything that looked particularly Korean, I make a U turn and head back to my starting point to check the other side if the tracks.


The first things you see when you pass through the underpass are shops, across the intersection from each other, that sell Korean idol goods.  As you walk the area, aside from restaurants, this is one of the more freqeunt types of store that you will see.  Countless places selling CDs, posters, and practically anything else that you can stick a picture on and sell.


I espied 1 large grocery store that carried the needed items to cook most types of Korean dishes


Being in Japan, most of the signage is still in japanese.  I dont not see too many written in hangul.


As mentioned, restaurants offering Korean cuisine are plentiful and seem to be the biggest buisness type along the street.  Some places offer barbecue with enticing pork belly while others offers noodles and stews.  I wasnt looking to buy anything specifically Korean.  I wasnt even looking for someplace to eat so I spent little time here.  The side streets did not offer any special rewards for scouting their little area.  But should I be in the mood for this kind of fare, I know where to go as all of the options are conventiently grouped together in a short distance..