Monday, March 17, 2014

Travelogue-Japan Day 2, Coco vs Go Go

To get my curry fix, I drop by a chain labeled Coco Ichiban or Coco Curry.  I like japanese curry.  Its milder and creamier than most curries found around the world.  Coco lets you bump up the spicyness factor if the normal level is too tame for you.  They have a rival in Go Go Curry.  Their mascot is a large gorilla, hence the go in Go Go.  I had never darkened their doorstep because I am loyal to Coco. 


Across the street from my hotel is Shina Tatsu.  A group of recognized ramen shops and a number of donburi shops nestled under the tracks at Shinagawa station.  Go Go has a branch at the very end. 


I looked up their menu online and found something of interest.  It was a platter with chicken and pork katsu, a fried shrimp, 2 sausages, and hard boiled egg over rice with a layer of curry between the two.  It is the fourth item in the top row.  Some shredded cabbage helps to make the monstrosity not totally unhealthy.  I thought it reasonable for 1000 yen.  I assume the other prices are for different sized protions.


I ordered and tucked in.


I started off well enough and got through half of it with ease. 


The remaining half proved to be very difficult.  As shown, I failed to completely finish off what was presented to me.  A pile of rice stares back at me mockingly knowing that I could not accomplish what I had set out to finish.  The first few people that entered after myself all ordered the regular menu items.   But, before I finished, 2 others came in and ordered the same thing.  I did not stick around to see if they ate it all but I dont believe it was the first time they had ordered it before.  Go Go even has an item thats double the size of this order.   After having tried them out, I can say that I prefer Coco over Go Go.  Whilst I was eating, I can barely remember the flavor of the curry.  The curry sauce is what decided the whole thing.  The textures were similar but Coco had a smoother more refined flavor.