Sunday, March 16, 2014

Travelogue-Japan Day 2, Imperial Grounds

Those thick heavy noodles can weight a persons stomach down.  A stroll to the nearby Imperial grounds was in order.  I came out og the station from the north on athe Marunouchi side.


The facade had under gone a large scale renovation.  The project was finished last year and a large celebration was held with an event including a projection display on the new face of the bulding.  Im sure it can be found on Youtube somewhere


Heading due west from the central Maronouchi exit, this promenade leads directly to the Imperial grounds where the palace and a garden is situated.


The compound is surround by a moat as one would expect from a castle or other fortified location of its time.


The waters of the moat provide a habitat fot water fowl of many kinds including these 2 swans/geese.


But there are also other unsavory types that like to hang out in these areas as well.  Not akin to the water but not one to look a gift opportunity in the mouth either.  I shooed him away as he was getting too friendly and probably expecting something from me. I didnt want to reward his behaviour


Continuing on, I approach the northern side of the grounds marked by this wide boulevard and the building pictured.  Near is the garden that is open to the public though I have never availed myself in all my time in this area.


Instead of unsightly gates to keep vehicles from intruding into places where they are not allowed, large stones are used as obstacles.  They have a smooth chiseled top while the sides are roughtly hewn.


To me, they looked like large curling stones minus the handles.  Like someone was having a match and didnt put away their toys after they were done.


One of the reasones I dont come here often is because this is almost as close as you can get to the palace.  There are no tours open to the public.  A guard and fence keep visitors from crossing the bridge and onto the grounds.


With my walk done, I go hack to the station to be on my way to the next place.  Uncertain of the weather of the next few days ahead, I sought to make use of the current good weather and get over to Odaiba.  Though you can take the Rinkai line, I more often than not opt for the Yurikamome.  For 1 thing, the Shimbashi station end of the line is closer to this location.