Sunday, March 30, 2014

Travelogue, Japan Day 11, Chiba Part 1

Chiba is located due east of Tokyo.  From said station, the Chuo line will get you out here.  There are a number of things out here.  A few of them is close to Minami Funabashi station.  If you go a few stations down the line, there is a Costco within a long walk.  I have been there by the way.


On one side of the tracks we have Ikea.  The first time I saw this location, I was on my way to Costco.  I always find it interesting to see the little differences between what we have in our neighborhoods and the same things abroad.




In this case, there was very little difference in the inventory.  Just like the Ikeas in the states, I cant pronounce the names of the items they have in stock here.


This was the only adjustment I saw to the asian market.  The bedroom display was the only setting that looked asian.  Everything else looked Ikean.  I know its not a word but give it time.  I was not expecting to buy anything while I browsed the store.  I saw these eight piece rectanular dividers set.  Its covered in fabric and a zipper mounted diagonally in the base.  Unzip and the divider folds flat.  I thought this would be useful for packing my suitcase when I have to leave tomorrow.  I used to use small cardboard boxes but I find thesee more convenient


Before heading to checkout. the cafeteria is situated just before the escalators heading downstairs.  I figured, why not get seomthing to eat.  They, of course, have the meatballs and a number of standard items like desserts and shrimp sandwiches.  But, they also had curry rice and a steak.  They also had some special for 1656yen but I could not read what it says


They offer the usual sodas, coffees, and teas.  Different kinds of iced teas and an ice coffee.  However, they did not have lingenberry soda.  Can you believe it?  Its like not having the meatballs.  Instead they had melon soda as a substitute.


I had the curry rice and a piece of chicken.  The curry was good.  Not Coco good but I prefer it over Go Go.  It is a bit sweeter.  I debated whether I should have ordered the steak instead.  Maybe that will have to wait for the next trip.


Once you get to the cashiers, they have their food market and a little snack stand.  The stand has the japanese twist with the ticket vending machine to purchase your edibles with.  The menu is fairly typical with hot dogs, snacks, and beverages.


After I was done with Ikea, I went to the other side of the train tracks to LaLa Port.  It is one of the larger shopping malls at least in the Tokyo area.  I dont know how it compares to the nation.


It seems I came a tad early, not like I had a choice.  Alot of stores were closed and possibly being remodeled.  Today is the 12th and there was a major re-opening a few days later.  Alot of retailers had their stalls boarded up with walls like this proclaiming their rebirth in a few days.  Does me little good.


There are a couple of food courts and a few restaurants scattered throughout the complex.  I didnt have the energy or motivation to roam nor explore the entire space.



After a whle, I went back to the train station.  On this side of the tracks, theres a racetrack.  There was no activity so it probably was not open.  Dogs, horses, or pigs, I cant tell you what they race here.   Maybe there are Jack Russel Terriers but they are so small I cant see them.