Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Travelogue-Japan Day 3, Shibuya

Shibuya is one of my favorite places to hang out because of its lively nature and scores of entertainment facilities and restaurants.  Some of the famous tourist spots in this area include the memorial statue to Hachiko and Shibuya Crossing 



Another shopping complex was recently thrown into the mix, Hikarie.  It is located on the northeast side of the station.


I didnt find much of interest personally except the views.  This view is from approx the 4th floor.  But there is a better view a few more floors up.


Up on 11 is what they call Sky Lobby.   This is the highest that I could get to.  Nice views of the Shibuya station area.in front of the building


Looking toward the station and the intersection before it.  Its still early on a weekday morning.


However, I dont see the numbers of people about that I did years ago.  This crossing would be busy through out the day no matter what time.   The trains would be packed during the late commute but I found myself with plenty of breathing room on all but 1 occasion.  Is this a sign or a symptom?


Off in the distance to the north, the buildings of Shinjuku.  The Tokyo Metropolitan Government buiding is clearly visible on another nice but cold day.  Temps were hovering around 10 degrees celsius for most of the trip.


Harkening back to the first trip, a friend of a friend reccommended this place when asked about a kaiten sushi place.  Back in 2001, their rate was 100yen per plate and the exchange rate ran 120yen to the dollar.  their prices have gone up and the exchange rate has gotten much lower since then.


You have the conveyor belt moving sushi around as you select what you want.  The place had just opened and they were taking orders as few people inhabited the stools.  As patrons entered, they began to make plates and put them out for the picking.


While most things are 120yen, some items like anago was slightly higher in price.  My friends and I enjoyed the offerings back in the day.  The pieces were large and the quality was good.


I dont believe it to be the case any longer.  The ingredients and taste were not as good as I remember and I think the menu has shrunk a bit.  Here we have California roll on the left and shrimp salad with large lettuce leaves.


To change things up, I ordered the crab miso soup.  It was ok is all can say about it.


Lastly, the crab salad roll.  I paid and left to wander around a bit.


There are alot of small alleys and roadways lined with shops of all forms.  Each advertising what it has to offer on their little patch of land or floorspacke they have available to them.  Often time, that floorspace several floors up as there is little room to expand outward


Would you follow Alice down the rabbit hole to see how deep it goes?


Satisfied with what Ive seen, I walk down Center Gai back to the station to move on to the next destination