Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Travelogue-Japan Day 3, Shinjuku

At times I will need to go to a spot before I actually need to in order  to see how easy it is to get to, how long it will take to get there, and basically find where I need to go so I dont get lost when I eventuallu make my way there.  Once Ive found what Im looking for I might as well hang out and see whats around.  I am in Shinjuku looking for the Shinjuku Washington hotel because a tour I booked will meet here at 7:30am.  Since it is so early, I want to make sure I wake up early enough and give myself enough time for transport and walking distance.  Now that I have my orientation in place, I go up the north tower of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government building to the free observatory


The north tower, where I am is open more frequently than the south tower.  Its been a while since I have been to either so I dont remember what the differences are between the 2 locatioons.  Here we look to the southeast.


In a zoom of the same view, you can see Shinjuku Station as well as the Takashimya Times building.  That patch of green in the background is Shinjuku Park.


This looks out to the far west and a bit to the south.  Its a good day but not a very clear day.  If it were, you would be able to see Mt Fuji out in the distance.  I have been lucky enough only once to the peak from this spot.


Still looking more west but a bit to the north now.  the skyscrapers of Shinjuku start to come into view even more.


That street below leads to the station.  If you choose not to walk, you can take the subway and make the 1 stop trip to Shinjuku.  that rounded building always reminds me of City Hall in London which reminds me of a crystal egg.


This is the eastern side of the south tower.  On this side, the best view of Shinjuku is kept behind partitions.  You can view it if you dine at the cafe/restaurant.  I would think the same may apply to them as well


Back onthe ground, I emerge from the underpass at the intersection of the train lines, namely the Yamanote, and Yasukuni dori.  To the right of the street is the station area and has many shops and restaurants.


To the left is Kabuki-cho, the red light district.  It too has many shops and restaurants.  In comparison, there is not much difference between the 2 sides except  for the larger number of DVD stores and maybe a few more night clubs.


Just on the face of it, you wouldnt know if this was on the station side or Kabuki cho side.  Here too there are arcades with games for kids.  Restaurants that are open to all ages.


Kabuki cho or station side?  Kabuki cho is................................................right.


Across the street, the "safe" side.


If you guessed this was on the station side, you would be......................................right