Saturday, March 15, 2014

Travelogue-Japan Day 1, Arrival/Ikebukuro

Things started off very poorly even before I get to the airport.  Long story short, things didnt go well at work and ended up leavine a bit later than I had planned.  Secondly, a major weather system swept through the west coast causing delays at SFO and LAX.  My flight down the coast was delayed for 2 hours.  Luckily, my schedule had a 3 hour layover in LAX before the international flight that departs just past midnight.  I had not anticipated the distance between the United and International terminals.  With the remaining hour left, I trekked the distance through the airport, cleared security, and made it to the gate as they were beginning to board the second group, my group.  The only reason I booked this connection was because I wanted to try this red-eye flight to Haneda that is not afforded to those flying out of SFO on United or its alliance members.  I have noted before my failure to be able to sleep on flights of any sort aside from short unrestful naps.  My thinking being that I would be very tired and sleepy on such a late flight.  And, I was wrong once again.  I caught a nap or two during the 11 hours in the air.  I landed in Tokyo at 5:00am in the morning.  It looked like we were the first arrival of the day as there was no one else in customs.  I zip through the paperwork very quickly and proceed to retrieve my luggage.  I begin to have a sinking feeling as my baggage was not one of the first ones out.  My belief was last one in , first one out.  I wait patiently but the realization hits that my luggage was not on the flight after seeing the last piece off the plane spinning around the carosel. 


Claim filed and with nothing else to do, I make the commute into town on the Keikyo line.  The monorail is an alternative but that would take me to Hamamatsucho and a bit out of the way.  I am in a gray mood because of the lost luggage and the weather outside reflected the way I felt


Approximately 6::30am, and I transfer to the Yamanote.   The station is pretty barren and most of the stores are still closed. 


From here, I go to Ikebukuro.  There is something new at the Seibu store that would require lining up.  Sadly, the store does not open until 10:00am. 


I walk around the area in the rain for a few hours along the lane that runs towards the Sunshine City complex.. 


Along the way, I passed by KFC.  On their morning menu, they have a hot dog meal.  McDonalds does the same thing.  They have have a hot dog for breakfast but its not available for lunch.  I believe they are lookng at this as a breakfast sausage sandwich.  Not so much a hot dog per se upon my first impressions


There is a branch of Ramen Jiro close to the station.  I find the place and it is located half a block away from another ramen place, Ippudo.  I visited the Ebisu branch of Ippudo on a previous trip.  Ramen Jiro opens at 11:30am but I was not planning on eating here until much later. Ramen Jiro is the metal roll-up door to the far right and Ippudo is on the corner of the intersection to the far left of the picture.


Just before 9:00am, I head back to the basement level of the JR station to find the entrance that I seek.  All of the entrances look the same and none were marked with any indication of what I was looking for.  My only clue would be the line of people outside the correct doorway.  Lo and behold, I find the line and queue up with everyone else.  I am tenth in line but would have preferred to be one of the first three.  


As the roll-up doors, well roll up, they reveal the Kit Kat Chocolatory.  They come in a variety of flavors in Japan and some are regional.  This little outlet sells three seasonal flavors and a special flavor sold nowhere else. 



The trio of flavors include cream cheese, sakura green tea and chili.  These are supposed to be only available here but I have seen these same flavors in various iterations at stores on earlier visits. 



The true exclusive is the Sublime flavor make with dark bitter chocolate.  You are limited to three while you can buy as many of the others as you wish.  They also sell a 10-pack but it looked like they only had three of these available on this Sunday.  I dont know how many they usually put up for sale.  There was a fourth flavor that I had not seen at any other shop on this trip.  It was labeled 2014 Whiteday.  Whiteday being in mid-March.  In Japan, like Valentine's Day but the guys give the chocolates to the ladies.  Oddly enough, before the store even opened, a worker came out with a price list and announced that one product was "sold out".  How could it be sold out when they didn't even let anyone in yet?!?!?!?


After I was done with my purchases, I cant help but observe the length of the line on my wait out.  The line was about four or five deep when I glanced at it on the way in.  By the time I was done, the line had stretched out and had to be continued across the hall so as not to block the street entrance level.



With several hours to go before I can check into the hotel, its time to get some miso ramen.  Clear across the Yamanote line on the east end of the loop, I arrive at Akihabara.  Its a wet Sunday.  Normally the streets are closed off to traffic for pedestrians.


Maybe due to the rain but the streets were not swarmed with people but the regular flow of traffic.  No matter, I was not planning to hang out here for long.  Just long enough to get something to eat. 


I go to Akihabara to a little place under the Chuo line.  I order my usual chasiu miso ramen and go to town.  It was a nice warming feeling on a cold wet day.


I prefer these semi curly yellow noodles, medium thickness with a bit of chew.  A slight spicyness to the miso soup adds an additional warming element.  Thats what I love about ramen on a day like this.  Like chicken soup or any hot soup, it drives away the chills.


I recall heading back to the hotel afterwards so I can drop off my stuff to keep it from getting damp.  For some reason, I have stopped taking pictures and cant remember what else I did after getting my room.  Im assuming I called it a day to take a shower, let my stuff dry out, and get some rest.  I dont even recall if I had dinner.  So much for the first day.