Saturday, March 29, 2014

Travelogue, Japan 3/11 in Sendai Part 2

Continuing on in Sendai.  I didnt really spend much time here.  There wasnt as much to see as I thought.


Loople took us through several areas but not a whole lot appealed to me and I didnt get off the bus until we got back to the station.  A few glimpses of the city motivated me to take out the camera for a shot.



 I was getting lost from all the turns so I dont remember if this is part of the river as above.  I vowed to take more picturs and worry about them later no matter what I thought of the view.  It would have been a better way to chronicle the trip.  I guess I got too bored for that.  Maybe I need to give Sendai another chance.  But at another time.


There were 2 things I was looking for while I was here.  Gyutan or beef tongue is pretty famous in these parts.  Secondly, I was looking for a taiyaki place that makes it with a curry gyutan stuffing.  From the blog I read, this taiyaki places was somewhere near 1 of the shotengais.


After walking through a couple of blocks worth of covered shoppping streets, I found the joint.  I went over and tried to describe what I was looking for.  My poor japanese didnt get the meaning across.  After a while, they just told me it was sold out.  Frowny face and I left.


Across the street,  there was a line of people waiting at this little shop.  A little shop that also happened to sell taiyaki.


I wasnt sure why they lined up but I got into line as well.  While I waited, I could see them making the taiyaki and was a bit puzzled at their process.   Normally, batter is poured into both sides of the heated form, a red bean paste of some sort is slid into the middle of it, and the form is closed to bake the batter. 


Instead, they were stretching a sugared rectangular piece of dough over the form then closing it.  It turns out they put the red bean into the center of a piece of puff pastry dough.  The sugar creates a sweet crust on the outside.  Hint of butter?  No, its like you got hit with a wall of butter when you bit into the flakey layers.  


Then the big pay off when you get to the center and you get the trio of sugar, buttered pastry, and red bean. Its good.  And, its very very rich.  I dont think I could have handled more than 1


Sadly, I didnt find a gyutan place in the shops around the station.  I went back and easily found 3 or 4 restaurants closely situated.  I chose the one I first saw.  Like they say "Location location location"


They have a few different cuts but most all are grilled.  They have thick cuts and thin cuts.  They will also pack up some freshly grilled tongue to go.


They ready my seat right in front of the grill.   Usually their best selling item is first on the menu.  As pictured above, I ordered the set including soup and rice.  It was arounnd this time, a little past 2:46pm, that many in the Tohoku area had a moment of peace in remeberance of those who didnt survive the tsunami.  Bells tolled the time.  Thats what I read later as I didnt hear them in the restaurant.


The gyutan is grilled and I chose to have the miso sauce basted over it.  This was a late lunch and I found it to be satisfying.  The meat was chewy.  I am used to having it simply boiled, sliced, and dipped in soy sauce with some garlic.  Maybe the boiling makes it tender as the meat swells from the water.  .


It was a relaxing ride back to Tokyo.  The setting sun reminding us the end of another day.  But there is still a bit of a way into the city.


As we get closer, I start to feel a bit restless.  After I arrival, I transfer to the Yamanote and feel compelled to head to Shibuya.


I guess that of all the places around the Yamantoe, this is probably the one place that I like to walk around at night.  I like the combination of shops, eateries, and entertainment.  Roppongi is full of bars and people like that but Im not much of a drinker so it doesnt draw me.  Shinjuku is second because some parts of it can get pretty seedy.


Years past, the pedestrians would have been shoulder to shoulder as they slip past each other in order to get across the street.   As previously mentioned, it seems the crowds have thinned over the years.  And with it the energy that I used to make places like this so vibrant.  


Back to the station.  Back on the Yamanote.  Back to my room