Thursday, March 27, 2014

Travelogue-Japan Day 8, Sunday Part 1

Today, Im playing a hunch.  Once I went by Yoyogi Stadium and the NHK Studios.  I got there late in the day, possibly Sunday, and missed out on something as tents were being taken down.  I get up to Harajuku Station and head over the tracks and the past the entrance to Meiji Jingu.  The stadium is over there but a few street carts are parked on the sidewalk.  I think the carts are a good sign.


Good fortune smiles upon me as my hunch pays off and there are a number of tents set up indicating an event of some kind




The event was hosted by NHK.  The residents of the tents are here to seel their waires and services.


A manufacturer of farm equipment has some of his inventory on display.  The kids enjoyed getting atop the machines and pretending they were driving them


Alot of fresh fruits and vegetables grown by their farmers were for sale.  Products like juices, sauces,  and spreads can also be purchased from a number of sellers.


The even stretched the length of this corridor, running from one street to another.


Many families, couples, and others dropped by the event troughout the time I was in attendance.  Though it looked vacant, it was still early.  According to a flyer, they were holding this all weekend.  Unfortunately, I was out of town yesterday.


This was the treasure trove I was looking for, a food court.  To sample a vriety of foods all in one convenient location.  Most of the offerings are of japanese cuisine.  But some are found to be of much different origins.


As mentioned before, I am early.  Around 10:00am or so.  Late for breakfast and too early for lunch.  Plus, being a Sunday, maybe more people are sleeping ing.  Whatever the case, the lines are short and the pickings are good.


Here is a stew of some sort.  Looks like it contains vegetables and slices of meat, maybe pork.


They are roasting different kinds and cuts of meat over coals.  The meats getting that nice charcoal tinge and flavor.


I purchased some of the beef.  I had not had a drop of beef since arriving and some beef sounded really good.  It was ok but the cuts were a bit fatty.  They poured on some ponzu sauce before serving


This was one of two places selling grill oysters and scallops.  They also has turbot


Yeah thats my order right there, the two scallops and three oysters


Here's my order plated up and served to me.  Simply grilled with no other acoutrements.  And, simply eaten with a toothpick.


This same stall had more stuff on the fire on the other side including some king crab legs.  1000yen for that tasty cluster of legs and body.


Grilled sweet fish, ayu, are lined up like soldiers around a fire to keep them warm until purchase.  Many times these are sprinkled with a bit of salt.  I have yet begun to eat...stayed tuned