Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Japan 2011-The rest of today

After taking a stroll westerly down Odori, we would have to make our way back east towards Nijo fish market. Along the way, an urgent side trip was needed for the Apple store near the boulevard. Nijo is ;located 2 blocks south from the TV tower and is on the east side of this river. This view is 1 block south of the tower and looking north

Lunch is the order of the day and wwe stop into Donburi Chaya just in time to avoid the lunch crush shortly thereafter. One of the items is a set of mini donburi with soup. Oyakudon made with salmon and ikura. Scallops and raw fish are brought alongside a bowl of crab don. For an extra fee, you can upgrade the quality if the seafood to premium

The set seemed good but it looked like more than I can handle and I am not one for the raw fish. I hade the roasted crab over rice. It was very filling as there is alot of rice hidden underneath. The crab is very simply grilled with not condiments or sauces

Later the group walked down the length of a covered swhopping arcade that runs for approx 7 blocks starting from the river. After all the walking, most decide to regroup baqck at the hotel before dinner. I trudged on further and went past an alley of ramen shops. Ramen is a popular dish around Japan and the local specialty is miso ramen. You will also find variations on toppings including corn and Hokkaido butter. I still have not had my ramen yet and must do so before we leave soon

An hour after the sun had set and the street lights came on, we haeded out to dinner at Nanda. This is an all you can eat place where you can grill your own food. There are a number of cooked items for the impatient. Grillable fare includes crab(spider, hairy, king), shellfish, vegetables, and meats. Like many buffets in Japan, you choose the amount of time, up to 2 hours, and whether you want the drink option as well. At this place,m soft drinks are included but alcohol can be added
So, I would have posted this earlier but the fatal combination of jetlag and food coma rendered me unable to complete my task in a timely fashion. I fell asleep as soon as my hyead hit the pillow. As soon as the jetlag kicked in again, I am up at 3am local time to put the photos together and post it. Now I can go back to sleep for a few hours more