Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Japan 2011-Nihonbashi/Akihabara

Today was a late start and a time to sleep in for a bit. Normally, we are out before lunch. This time around, we headed out in time for lunch. We were headed to Nihonbashi via Tokyo station. For the first time, we walked through Tokyo Station City in search of noodles. There was an udon place that had a decent amount of people waiting in line to partake. The line m oved quickly as people would get their orders, consume, then exit. You select the type be it hot or cold as well as small or large. There are a variety of toppings you can add for an extra fee. for example, a piece of chicken karaage was 50 yen. Other toppings include tempura eggplant, kakiage, tempura fishcake, etc. After paying, you can add free toppings like green onions or tempura batter. Proceed to your table, season as needed then slurp away.

The Nihonbashi bridge connects us to our destination. The bridge was built over a river then a freeway was built over the bridge.

Once you cross the bridge, There is a large Mitsukoshi store in front of you. We were headed a bit down the street to a shop that has been in existence since the 1700's. Their product is kastuoboshi, shaved flakes of dried bonito. This has been used to flavor stock and as a topping. They can work as a snack as well

A bit later, I went back to Akihabara to pick up a few things. Little did I know that I would need to head back here again later that night. for that matter, I had to go to Tokyo station again too. Anyway, this is what the street looks like on a normal day when open to cars. I walked down Chuo dori and visited a few stores including Don Quijote. After pruchasing nothing, Yodobashi would be next

On the way, I stopped off at the Gundam Cafe to get some coffee and check the place out. Im not an avid follower of the series but I have always admired how they can keep up the new designs with each itteration of the series. I poked my head ina found only a handful of tables. I was expecting larger. I skipped the cafe in favor of something less cramped.


There is a small open lot on Chuo dori outside of the JR station. There are a few vendors selling food. The one that I opted for was the doner kebab. Their sandwiches are mad with pita bread stuffed with seasoned beef, veggies, and your choice of mild or hot sauce. I prefered the mix of the two sauces.
I made my purchaes at Yodobashi and made my way back to myroom. By now, it was getting close to 5pm and it would be getting dark soon. I was planning to drop off what I bought today and head over to Odaiba for dinner. New information would alter those plans.