Thursday, February 17, 2011

Japan 2011-Odaiba redux

I ventured out to Odaiba on my last full night in Tokyo. The views of the city skyline are always great from this side of the bay. The Takoyaki museum had opened up recently. I showed you earlier what I had ordered, a sampler platter of 3 kinds of takoyaki. Below, this is the entrance with the mascots riding a boat. These mascots are identical to the ones in Osaka. To the left, you will find the octupus ball purveryors, they number about 5 or 6. Each stall has a slightly different take on the dumplings. I didnt go and visit every stall as my stomach probably would not be able to handle. Nor would I try to sample all thats available even if I had a few more days in Tokyo. If I happen to be in the area and was feeling peckish, I would definitley stop by and try one of the other vendors

I told about a vending machine just outside the museum next to a small arcade that was dispensing hot or cold food stuffs. Here is a close up of a couple of other cans the machine had to choose from. This looks like some kind of stewed chicken or maybe even curry chicken. Its served hot but I could not find any utensils nearby should the need arise in order devour the contents

There were some cold pasta in a can. Some of other warm cans included oden and curry rise. Im not sure what is to the right of the curry rice. Since there are no utensils visible, Im assuming that one is provided in the packaging. Possilby, its stuck to the plastic lid atop the cans. The japanese are good about things like that. They are very good with the details

As stated, I love the view of the skyline from here. I took several pictures hoping to get at least one good one that I can post. I have a small tripod with me and tried a number of different iso's, exposure times, etc. Some came out better than others. I abhor using the flash at all costs. I always feel like its such an intrusion. Im almost compelled to apologize whenever it accidentally goes off

I have found that either the image stabilization is not as good as I would have hoped or that my hands are getting shakier as I age older and older. DSLRs are better but I dont like to carry a giant brick around with me. I like something I can easily slip in and out of my pocket. Also, it helps if I can totally conceal it in my hand to take those stealth shots in areas, like temples, where they dont want you to take pictures.