Thursday, February 3, 2011

Japan 2011-Later that day

Before we left for Otaru, we had lunch at a local restaurant in the covered shopping arcade. The lunch menu was somewhat limite with a seafood rice bowl and 2 sets. The one that I ordered had some raw fish in it. Those who know me know that I dont deal very well with raw fish. However, I was able to use the heat from the miso soup to warm up the salmon. The rest wast wa meted out to those who wanted it.
In Otaru, our party split and some went back earlier to Sapporo while the rest of us walked a bit further into the darkness before heading back. On the walk back from Sapporo station to Susukino station, we checked on the progress of the snow sculptures. This is one we looked at two days ago. It has come alot in that time but is still not complete. Its Thursday and workers trudge on to finish before the Monday opening

After regrouping, we wn\ent ojut for ramen. I like curry. I like ramen. I have not had curry ramen in Japan. There are many places that sell curry udon. But the substitution of noodles is very rare. Found in a local guide, I sampled some curry ramen with charsiu. I was hoping for more of a japanese style curry soup. Instead it was more Indian like. The bowl had some sweet cabbage, carrots, and french fries. I finished the bowl and it wasnt bad. It just wasnt what I expected

The second part of the Snow Festival takes shape a block from the hotel. Since the opening of the festivities has been moved back from Friday to Monday, we saw no sign of life until this evening. The median of the street has been cordined off and blocks of ice have been placed on the ground to act as foundations. We leave early tommorrow and this will be all we will get to see of it.

Around this same area, some street vendors appeared to sell their wares. Here this lady sells grilled items like sweet potatoes, squid, and corn

Lastly, before we leave, a video panoramic of the intersection that is the hub of activity for the Susukino area. There is alot of nightlife with tons of bars and restaurants. Some places like the ramen restaurant we visited, dont open until 6pm and dont close until 6am. Posters and banners for hostesws bars are platered all over building while hawkers try to persude you to go in. Around dinnertime, I could see a number on their way to work