Saturday, February 5, 2011

Japan 2011-Nebuta heads

A cutaway of a head shows the internal supports and the set up of the lighting within. It also illustrates the techniques used to paint the Nebutas
Overhead at the large hall is a display of a number of faces/heads

The heads as well as the rest of the floats are very 3 dimensional. A story unfolds as you make uour way around the float

There is a small fee to enter the museum. I dont believe that I will be in the area for any future festivals but it was nice to get to take at look at a few of these first hand. The sclae is what I imagined they would be but the intensity of the col,ors are not done any justice in most pictures that I have seen.

Much of the large hall is kept in the dark. This helps to simulate what these floats would look like as they moving along the city streets during a warm summer night. I hear that summers in Japan can be an ordeal of humidity