Thursday, August 27, 2009

Walking The Line, The Yamanote Line

When in Tokyo, especially for your first time, try to stay around the Yamanote Line. This is the train line that encircles much of the heart of Tokyo. If you ever get lost, just hop on in any direction and you will get to where you need to go. If taking the longer route by accident, sit back and enjoy the view as you may stumble upon places that have piqued your interest. Over the last few trips, I find myself walking around parts of the Yamanote loop. Im not that big on walking but at times when Im bored, have some extra time, or looking to explore, I put the old legs to use. I will try to finish the walk over the next few years. So far I have walked from Harajuku to Shinjuku, Akihabara to Nippori, Harajuku to Shibuya, Ebisu to Gotanda, and Ebisu to Shibuya. Effectively, Gotanda to Shinjuku and Akihabara to Nippori. An optimistic estimate would put that at 1/3 of the route.