Friday, August 21, 2009

Guilty Pleasure-Japanese Night-time Soap Operas(Doramas)

I have to admit that I do occasionally like to watch doramas from Japan. And, I have to watched them subbed because I have no command of the language. I had started watching them the year that Densha Otoko, 2005, came out. It was the story of an otaku, a geek/nerd, who falls in love and pursues a woman whom he saves from harassment by a drunken lout on a train ride home. He chats about and gets advice from fellow otaku on the internet. It has some touching scenes as well as many humourous ones. Ever since then, I have been watching one or two a season. I only have two requirements: attractive actresses and a story that will hold my attention

I guess I saw my first dorama on a local tv station that airs japanese programming on Sat and Sun nights. I would watch occasionally but never latched on to any series until Hoshi no Kinka, 1995. This starred Noriko Sakai as a deaf girl and the two doctor brothers she is associated with. Usually these doramas last for one season. If popular, there can be successive seasons but they are rarely back to back. Hoshi no Kinka did have a second season with the same cast a year later. Recently, Noriko Sakai was arrested on drug charges. So sad, she is such a beautiful lady and had a really wholesome reputation/image.