Thursday, August 13, 2009

Nuts!

I like to pop a few handful of nuts every now and then. I have my favorites and they go like this:
1-Macadamia nuts. Especially when they have been roasted to golden brown reminiscent of a honey glaze. This deeper roasting imparts a nice smokey taste and sweeter flavor also imparting a heartier crunch when you bite down on them
2-Cashews. This one was a tough one. It was either this or pistachios. Cashews win out because you dont have to shell or skin them. The creamy flavor fills the mouth and leaves it with a nice nutty finish
3-Pistachios. Convenience knocks this down a peg. I rarely ever see these sold shelled and skinned. The green meat was a surprise when I first had one, especially since the shell was colored red. It was quite a contrast.
4-Peanuts. As ubiquitous as they are, they still rank in my top 5. I prefer them dry roasted with very little salt. Mascerating a mouthful into chunky peanut butter.
5-Almonds. Though very far back in 5th, they are the last of the nuts that I can say I eat on a frequent basis.
The also rans are not very close. These last nuts are only eaten when someone picks up the mix of nuts instead of the single variety or they are less convenient to eat or just have a bitter flavor. Brazil, filbert(hazelnut), walnut, pecan,