Sunday, September 6, 2009

Travelogue-Philly Day 1

Hersheys and hoagies are the theme. Drove 2 hours to Hershey, PA for the chocolate company's chocolate themed attractions. I drove through some scenic areas and noticed a few oddites that caught my attention. For example, flashing strobes on red stoplights, "Wait for Green Light" signs at stoplights, and Dutch Wonderland. I did not attend the amusement park but visited the Chocolate World for the factory tour. As it turns out, the tour was not an actual factory tour as it is at the Jelly Belly factory in Fairfield. This was more like The Haunted Mansion or Its A Samll World ride at Disneyland

Whats a stop in Philly without trying cheesesteak? The epicenter being the street between Pat's and Geno'sAn unadultereated sandwich from Geno's. Soft chewy bread with slices of beef married to cheez whiz and onions. Geno's onions stilll have some crunch and a bit more bite as they are not fully cooked. This really cuts through the greasyness of the meatLiterally a stones throw away is the competition, Pat's, that pre-dates Geno's.Here we have a Pat's augmented with extra onions, mustard, and a pepper. Aside from that, basically the same. However, this one seem heftier and somewhat larger. The meat was not always tender throughout. The onions were cooked through more and in turn sweeter.

In my opinion, I give the edge to Geno's for the texture and the flavor of the onions. I had to eat both to get the imperical data I needed for this article. I may not need breakfast tommorrow