Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Travelogue London Prime Time

So I thought the day before was cold.  Today was colder and greeted me with intermittent snowfall throughout most of the day. Those white specks was the light snow falling in the morning as I left the hotel.  As I got to Victoria Station, the snow had let up and some sun came through.  It was very little sun but the most that would be seen today

To get to Greenwich, I used the Docklands Light Rail(DLR) for the first time.  Opposite of the subway, it stays above ground for most of its trip.  One of the few times it had to be underground occurred during the crossing of the Thames

A view of the London skyline.  You can clearly make out the profile of the Shard.  At a distance, reminds of the Transamerica Pyramid

Near the DLR Cutty Sark stop, the Discover Greenwich Visitor Center is available to help you sort out your visit.

There are displays on the history of Greenwich and England's Maritime history.  There are pamphlets for tours, loding, and sightseeing ideas.  There was a display of the city.  Press a button and a green laser overlays the Prime Meridian over the city, basically cutting it in half.  Too bad I frgot to take a pic

A gauntlet and knight's helmet was on display.  I think I saw another display of armor.  Maybe they used to make armor in the area?

Can you imagine trying to go into battle trying to peer through a little slit like this?

So I wanted to see what it was like and put it on.  One of the few pics of myself that I have ever posted.  Gawd, I hope this wont be all over Facebook. And, they call me The Stig!

A quick peek outside and the snow still falls and the waters of the Thames are ranging with anger

Anyway, the Prime Meridian is over by the Royal Observatory which is located in the middle of Greenwich Park.  You can see there was a decent amount of snowfall and the cold kept if from melting away.  Theres a planetarium, gift shop, and cafe in this building

Heres the observatory itself.  There is a display of how the astronomers lived during those time n Flamstead House

Like everyone else, I straddle the meridian with one foot in the west and one foot in the east.  And, one foot in the grave

During its heyday, the British were the most technologically advanced when it came to exploring and maritime ventures.  They were the Google of their time and got to designate where the day would start and end as well as the starting point for the world's navigational coordinates.

The Prime Meridian stretches to the north past the Thames and to the north pole

Now, I can scratch off standing in 2 directions off my bucket list.  Next on the list is standing in 4 states all at the same time!  There was a pie and mash shop that I passed by earlier.  Oddly enough, their storefront is on the wikipedia site on the subject of pie and mash

They sell several savory pies and a few sweet pies.  Their menu can be found on the web.  

As the name suggests, you order a pie and you get mashed potatoes with it.  I oredered a chicken and mushroom pie.  You get your choice of gravy or liquor. The liquor has no alcohol whatsoever but is a parsley sauce.   I ordered both and did the ying and yang.  The brown gravy was ok.  The liquor I didnt care for by itself and wasnt much of a benefit to the mash

So the insides dont look like much but the filling was quite tastey and i enjoyed the flakey pie shell.  Another thing these types of places also offer is jellied eels.  I was too full to make room for jellied eel.  Whew!