Thursday, March 7, 2013

Travelogue Dublin A Rainy Day

It often rains during my travels because of the time of year that I tend to travel during. Today the rain begann to fall lightly in Dublin. Weather like this makes me less inclined to go exploring and more inclined to find a bowl of soup and or soup noodles. But, before that, its time to get some breakfast. A few blocks from the hotel is Slattery's.

Breakfast is similar in vein to what I had a few mornings ago, a full irish breakfast. This version is augmented by a piece of hashbrown, mushrooms, and black pudding in addition to the white

Despite the weather, I jumped onto the bus towards Howth. Howth juts out into the Irish sea and borders the north of Dublin Bay. The bus passes a wet Customs House

We pass through some residential areas of Dublin. Kind of interesting to see how their homes are designed in comparison to the ones that we are used to. A few random pics along the route






With the gloom and cold, the harbor area is deserted. I was hoping to sample the local seafood that websites and tour books rave about. I hopped on the first bus back and decided to hunker down at the room for the rest of the day


For some reason, I opt for fish and chips again. Instead of Beshoff, I head up O'connell to Parnell where Kingfisher is located. They have an eat-in area but I wanted to take it back to the room so I could finish off the packing and turn in to get some sleep. And, I have a knee-jerk reaction to onion rings, to buy them when I see them.

The fish is the same, cod. However, some places in Dublin offer a smoked cod or other smoked fish along with the chips. The texture of the fish toughens up a bit from the smoking process. I prefer the non-smoked fish. I dont think the smoke makes the fish that much better

The next day I would fly out to London in pre3tty much the same weather. Once I land and get to my room, Im not up to going out yet. I settle in and finalize plans for the next day