Thursday, March 14, 2013

Travelogue London Artillery and Afternoon Tea

The weather of the last few days have not been conducive to my trip. Now, as if to mock me, I walk out into the bright sun this morning. Im still freezing my __(fill in the blank)__ off but at least a part of me can keep somewhat warm

Keeping with the military hardware theme, there is the Royal Artillery Museum. Its just east of Greenwich in Woolwich. My original thinking was to go here after the Royal Observatory visit yesterday. However, the museum is closed on Sun and Mon, so I had to coem back this following day. A shame to waste my brightest day in London in a museum.

Unfortunately, this place was smaller than I had hoped and they didnt have quite the exhibits to wow me

So this Rapier looked a bit familiar when I saw it. Something about these 4 rockets on either side of the vehicle rang a few bells

In a previous post there was one like this at the Military Vehicle Technology Foundation. I have a similar picture of the rockets there too

This Thunderbird missle reminds me of the marionette series Thunderbirds. One of the ships looks like this missile. Hmmm

A 155mm howitzer.

A 155mm howitzer and a shell being loaded

This was my favorite piece in the museum, a Gatling Gun

A far cry from today's highly mechanized and sometimes automated lead thrower. This forerunner incorporated 10 barrels and was actuated by a hand crank

This is not the end you want to be on

This is awfully shiny

Two 40mm anti-aircraft guns. This one was mounted on atrcuk so it could be easily move to where it was needed

This one on the other hand, was mounted in a fixed location somewhere

One thing alot of people like to do when they visit London is to have afternoon tea. This usually means a pot of tea or your choice. Mine being english breakfast with sugar and a spot of milk

With your tea, you get a selection of small sandwiches. Here we have a cucumber, smoked salmon, and egg salad

Next there is a course with scones and cakes. From the top a scone. Next is a little cake with lingen berrys(?), a macaroon, and a berry tart in a crispy shell. Clotted cream and jam for the scone. I had this light snack at the Saatchi Gallery Mess. Their website listed this for 17 pounds. When I recieved the bill, it was just under 11pounds including the 12% service charge

A few hours after the light snack, time for an early dinner. Went to this kebab place on my first trip and remembered the food being good. I was trying to look for the same item that I had ordered before. It was a kefte kebab plate but I couldn't find it

So I ordered this minced chicken breast meat with garlic. It was supposed to be spicy but I could feel non. It was served with yogurt, rice, and a grilled tomato. Most of their foods are grilled over charcoal and you can really taste it. I was afraid of the smoke from the grill impregnating my clothes as I remeber a smokey haze from before. Luckily, that was not to be found