Monday, November 27, 2023

Germany Arrival w/pictures

This started with the week of Thanksgiving selected for vacation with no particular plans in mind.  As time approached, I found some information on German Christmas markets.  Some locations had early opening dates that coincided with the time I would be off from work.  So, I began to plan the trip with some early research.  My itinerary changed as the info was updated up to the time I was in Dusseldorf. 

I flew out on Scandinavian Airlines, SAS, with a short layover in Copenhagen, CPH.  Legroom on the A330 was shorter than most, I felt.  I have short legs so take that into consideration.  Landed in Dusseldorf(Dus) early in the evening.  

The inflight meal was good.  Cold appetizers was a slice of ham with potato salad.  The main was chicken with rice and some veg.  Couldnt figure out what was in the dish as the announcement was hard to make out.  Nice roll and butter to accompany.  Finished off with a decent brownie that was semi dense with good chocolate flavor.


For the bulk of the trip I plan on visiting several Christmas markets in cities that neighbor Dus while taking some time to look around the area that I am staying in.  I will be staying in the Alstadt(Old Town) area. The updated info shows Dus' markets will not officially open until after my departing flight leaves.  I was fortunate to exit the subway station at the exact place I needed to be.  I popped up, disoriented, spied Burger King,then I had my bearings.


Felt like looking around even though I was a bit tired.  The cold weather perked me up a bit.  Went over to Rathaus(City Hall) first as the Handwerker Markt seemed like the main attraction.  The huts were set up but the lights were off and cordoned off by fencing.  A glow of light to the north was a ray of hope that I followed.


The ferris wheel at Burg Platz illuminated the immediate area and was attended by Friday night revelers.  Like a moth drawn to a flame, so was I.  I had to see if any shops were open and indeed they were.


Not sure when they initiated their festivities but I was glad to see that something was open after discovering the markets in this locale would start a week later on the day I depart


There were 2 huts open and thankfully they were food and drink.  To inaugurate the first night, I had a cup of gluhwein.  At the stand theres various booze options from beer to gluhwein and other beverages, some non alcoholic.  They charge a deposit for the glass which can be refunded upon return.  It ranges from 3-4 euros


Gluhwein is more familiar as mulled wine thats served hot.  My mistake was inhaling.  The alcohol fumes were coming off the drink due to the heat of it.  It tore through my nose as I sipped the first few times.  I dont drink wine on a regular basis and do not have the palette for it, but all subsequent times I opted for this all tasted the same.


Grilled sausages were on hand so I ordered up a bratwurst served on a crusty roll.  They had a few other types of tube meat and other offerings.  The lengthyd sausage is served on a very short roll.  German humor at its finest as every wurst vendor does the same.  At least to this foreign tourist.  The joke is on them, I ate the sausage but not the roll.  Great brat, smooth filling and good thickness to the casing.  It wasnt overly hard to bite into and had a good snap.


This platz is situated right next to the Rhine River.  Ventured out to take in the view.  To the south is the Rheinturim(Rhine Tower).  I will go there tomorrow.  Restaurants and bars along the promenade as well.  Many cities became great due to the proximity to a grand river that afforded transportation options


I didnt check to see if the shops on the promenade were open or not since I was not going to partake tonight.  Instead, I went back inland to do some further surveying.


Along Flinger Strasse is the Altstadt Markt.  Still a few days before the festivities begin and it was apparent.  Different style of stands from those at Burg Platz.  More doll house like.


1 thing found at all markets are the Christmas Pyramids of different sizes.  If I observed correctly, they all had bars at the base



I strolled around the area and went east towards the luxury shopping area of Konigsallee.  I was happy to find the party had already started at the edifice at Cornelius Platz that looks like an alpine chalet.  


There was a large bar area next to an ice skating rink and a curling(?) rink/pitch/field/lane.  Its not curling as they were not throwing "stones" but they were sliding objects down the lane to see who could get closest to the hockey puck to score


There were several more huts nourishing the attendees.  In addition to the sausage and drink huts, there were also riebkuchen(potato pancakes), mushrooms, roasted nuts, sweets and so on.  I did not indulge, except for reibkuchen, in anything this night but theres still several nights ahead.  It all smelled so so good.  It was hard to walk away.  


Several places to get alcohol and several types are available.  Non acoholic options are coffee, tea, and kinderpunsch.  Its the kid version of gluhwein but made with fruit punch for kids.  Their is also eierpunsch(egg nog) for those that fancy that drink.  Either way, both are pretty sweet as sugar is added to the spices


Speaking of sweets, roasted glazed nuts are sold in the same places as gingerbread cookies of various sizes, shapes, and sayings.  Some have licorice, cotton candy, and other candies


The heart shaped cookies were in abundance.  Most had some kind of romantic saying, I believe.  I cant read German and didnt bother to whip out Google Translate.  For the season, they also had them in shapes of St Nikolaus and reindeer.


One of the rarer huts Ive seen sells some kind of apple pastry.  The smell of apples in cinnamon around these huts evoke the season


Between this market and another off to the east was a smaller one in between.  Sales huts were erected but dark.  I took this as a sign to head back and get some sleep.  I am writing this at 3-4am local.  So much for sleep.  Looking back, I realized why  Burg Platz and Cornelius Platz had stalls open while most official sites were not.  These are not considered proper "markets"