Saturday, November 18, 2023

Germany, Day 1 - Dusseldorf, first full day

 I awoke at almost 8:30.  Mistakenly believing breakfast was from 7-9am, I hurrid to grab a little something.  Fears worsended as no one was around.  I inquired at the front desk about the hours.  Breakfast is available at a liesurely 8-11am.  Sat down to some cold cuts and croissant.  Other breads were available.  I skipped the cheese platter this morning.  Looked up some info on Cologne as now it may be a possiblity because two of the markets open on 11/20, well before I leave.  After downin a flat white and two cafe au laits,  I headed out and about but feared the forecast of rain.  The majority of the forecast during my stay is rain more often than not.  This morning started quite overcast but no precip yet.  Went by Burg Platz where the food and drink huts were open.  Generally they will open around 10 or 11 and close by 9pm.  Instead of taking transit to the Rhine tower, I walked along the banks of the river.  The river may seem calm but forcefully moves northward.  I started at the promenade lined with bars and restaurants.  Watching ferries and other ships ply the waters, some working hard against the current.  

I passed under the Rheinkniebrucke bridge and was close to the tower while in the neighborhood of Medien Hafen.  My camera is not broken and the lens is not warped.  These three buildings were designed by Frank Gehry. If you dont know, he was th architect behind the Walt Disney Concert Hall in southern California. I affectionately designate these buildings as the Three Stooges. Moe is the tallest and white structure. Larry is the third building while Curly is the shiny metal one in the middle. 10 euros to go up the tower at the lower level. The level above has a full service restaurant while theres a cafe and snack shop. Tables are place around the perimeter making it hard to get up to the window to take some shots. Maneuvered around seatted patrons to get shots of the river south, north to Old town, and some parts east.

Wasn't there long before I had already made 3 or 4 laps then out. Went over to Carls platz, a market in the middle of the city. Like a covered farmer's market we have in the states. Fortunate as some drops were beginning to fall. Walked through the butchers, florists, crafts people, producers, and fish mongers. There were bakeries, small restaurants, and bars. I went to a fish market to get some fish soup. Acreamy soup with several kinds of fish including salmon as well as shrimp. It was perfect to get me warmed up for the rest of the day as the weather would turn for the worse.

I perused the majority of the venues the night before.  Wanted to see if any of the markets a little to the east were available.  The rain and closure of these locations put a damper on the rest of the evening.  Went back to Cornelius platz and had some ribkuchen minus apple sauce. The potato pancake was good naked with crunchy bits around the edge with a nice soft center and full of potato flavor.  The ushrooms with garlic sauce smelled good too but I will partake at another location.  I could not rightly let the day go by without another mug.  This time it was the kid friendly kinderpunch, boiled sweet punch.  In a frosted mug instead of the painted ceramic mug.  I had seen several cups of the type that I purchased previously with slightly different graphics.  

Walked past a stand that had frikadelle, should I have ordered it?  With meat on my mind, I went back to the sausage vendor near the ferris wheel.  The pork roast simmering in onion juices looked and smelled good.  So far, they could do no wrong as I enjoyed the pork with onions on a roll.  Great amount of fat on the roast to give it a nice chew with each bite.  The sweeteness of the onions added to the flavor of the pork.  It was a hearty sandwich with several thick slices in the roll that abosorbed much of the juices.  Had to ditch the carbs to finish off the protein.