Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Germany, Day 4 - Cologne(Koln)

 It took me alnt longer to get back to the hotel than expected.  More on that later if you are interested.  Today was a short term decision to head south to the city of Cologne.  Like Dus, many of their Xmas markets dont start up until the 23rd, as far as I knew.  I was doing some reasearch a few days and found 2 markets were to open by the 20th.  Since Ive already went to all the one I had scheduled, I pencilled this in. Using the regional express, it took jut over 20 minutes.  Koln hbf is right next to Koln cathedral.  But this is not one of the two.  I first went over to The Market of Angels adjacent to Neumarkt transport stop.  A small market with alot of the usual suspects.  A quick stroll and I was ready to head on to the second market.  It was only 1 stop away at Rudolf platz.  Like in Dus where there are many markets, some are within easy walking distance of each other.  Nicolas Village(Nicholasdorn) was roughly about the same size as the previous.  There was a dramatic archway at the eastern entrance.  Aside from the name, there was nothing really St Nicholas oriented themes.  I bypassed getting food at the first market.  Deciding between 2 options, deep fried fish or pork steak sandwich.  I figured the fish could be found elsewhere so I went with the pork.  It was grilled and serve with thinly slice stringy onions.  I declined the bbq sauce.  The pork was tastey and the onions added some sweetness although you really had to bite through them.  It was served on a small crusty roll.  Unfortunately, the portions are so large, I cant finish but a few bites of the roll.  The mushrooms I had before came with a half slice of white bread.  I dont think it was a good match to the mushrooms and sauce.

One of the attractions is the Chocolate museum on the river.  It so happens there is another market situated here that will start up in a few days.  You may also say, "It cant be true German Christmas Market without a ferris wheel!"  Got you covered there!  With time on my heands, I took the tour.   You are given a Lindt chocolate as you enter the exhibit.  From farming to packaging, they go through the whole process.  During the process of unmolding dark chocolate pieces, you can sample one.  Nearby a worker will dip a wafer into fountian of milk chocolate and offer it to you.  You can get osme personalized chocolates in 45 minutes if you are so inclined.  Lastly, when I left, I got 4 small pieces of different types.  Finally, theres a chocolate cafe and the obligitory souvenir store.  Not a big fan of chocolate and not aware of Lindt's product catalog, but there sure was a great variety of stuff.  Delay 1, waited over 30 minutes for a bus that never came, so I walked back to the Heumarkt before going back to the Angel's market.  I ordered the backfisch im brotchen mit ramoulade.  Deep fried battered fish in a roll with tartar(?) sauce.  Very filling but got salty toward the end.  Yeah, you can figure out what happened to the roll.  Last thing to do was to get the commemorative cup.  Kind of an odd white cup with an angel wearing clown makeup and a red nose.  The spires of the cathedral inside the rim with the year.

Went back to the main station and took a look at the main(?) festivl area out the massive church.  They were still setting up and nothing will be open until I hve left the country.  Delay 2, the subway platform heading back was immensely crowded.  An alternatie was to go one stop over and catch another subway line.  Unfortunately there was some technical difficulties and trains were prohibited from going to the terminus.  Ok, fight the crowds at the original station and tough it out to the main station.  Lastly, tired and weary, I got on the right train going the wrong way.  I had enough awareness to the next station was the wrong station.  Finally I made it back after a long day.  Oddly, the more I walk, the less I feel like eating.  I had the fish around 4pm and that was it.  Tommorrow will be a day of rest or just more leisurely, hopefully.